Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Dataloggers and Mac Computers

Post by Ian »

Hi all,
Does anybody (besides us) have Mac computers in Science and also Dataharvest "Easysense Advanced" Data Loggers?. It seems that Dataharvest no longer support Mac computers and although they had software that ran under the old OS9 system, (5 years or so ago!) they have no intention of EVER bringing out a Mac OS X version of their software.

So...

Are we the only saps to be caught in this predicament of having thousands of dollars invested in Data Logger hardware and no computers to connect it all to?

Has anybody else come across a solution to this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Ian
chemical
Job Title: SASS
School: Karabar High
Suburb: Queanbeyan

Re: Dataloggers and Mac Computers

Post by chemical »

:D I had a problem with a sense data logger that nobody knew why it didnt work. so I went to the
http://www.data-harvest.co.uk and the information was good. It is a bit difficult to find thing but just keep going.
My problem was the data logger need a hard start reset and I found the answer on the site.
The was area on MC computer if you goto Viritual data loggers and there is a update for MC computers
Hope this helps. I have had a great deal of fun this weekend with the new program softwar.
Lindy :D
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks Lindy for your reply.
I had already sorted out the "Hard Reset" bit. My problem is that Data Harvest no longer write software for Mac Computers! The data loggers work fine and collect all the data we want, but we can no longer transfer it to a computer for processing, (which kind of defeats the purpose!). Once upon a time, they had software that would run on old Macs, but it does not run on new Macs. So we have all this expensive equipment that can no longer be used!

regards
Ian
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Well that is just stupid that a company would make something that used to come with MAC software but then decided to stop supplying the latest software for it. Sorry I cannot help you though.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Yeah! I agree. Stupid! Their story is that when Apple went from System Software OS 9 to System software OS X the change was so great that the software would have to be re-written from scratch. They argue that there are so few Mac users on the planet that it was not worth their while financially to pay someone to rewrite the software! Yet again the Economic Rationalists win at the expense of the betterment of Science and Technology!

Ian
RosalieM
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I don't know a whole lot about macs but at UNE they have mac computers which have windows on them as well. It was all very confusing when I first tried to use them but I eventually worked it out. Would the installation of that help you out any? Might be cheaper to go that way rather than to get all new computers or equipment... Just a thought!
Rosalie