for anything else that doesn't fit.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

cutting contact

Post by RosalieL »

Hi all,
This is a fairly random question, but I'm just wondering if anyone on here has used a guillotine to cut contact to size for covering dropper bottle labels etc? Does it wreck the blade? I usually just use scissors because I'm not doing many at a time but I'm about to label 60 droppers and have no contact pre-cut to size! I'm trying to find the quick/easy way out!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: cutting contact

Post by macca »

Hi, just use a wide sticky tape straight over the top. Contact and I don't get on that well! lol
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Buy the Avery heavy duty labels and you don't need contact. I know, bit late now but worth the cost.
I don't think it will ruin the blade of the guillotine, but I'm not sure it will happily cut it. It could be tricky.
And Macca - the sticky tape. My predecessor used sticky tape and it is so difficult to get off and caused me a lot of grief as I tried to update labels. Contact comes off in one piece at least.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Merilyn1 wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 14:14 Buy the Avery heavy duty labels and you don't need contact. I know, bit late now but worth the cost.
I don't think it will ruin the blade of the guillotine, but I'm not sure it will happily cut it. It could be tricky.
And Macca - the sticky tape. My predecessor used sticky tape and it is so difficult to get off and caused me a lot of grief as I tried to update labels. Contact comes off in one piece at least.
Heavy duty labels? These exist?? And the ink doesn't run when it gets wet? That's the main reason I'm contacting over the top of the labels. I have the sticker ones. Oh, and do they fit the risk assess templates?
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

The heavy duty labels are the same size as the Riskassess templates. As long as they are printed on a laser printer, you will have no problems with them running. I have had to change the silver nitrate labels after about three years of use because of the stains but otherwise, I've had no problems.
The last time I checked, Avery don't make heavy duty labels for the extra small size on riskassess but I've got by with the small labels for droppers, specimen jars etc.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

I usually use the 21 stickers/sheet so that's fine. I am looking into getting some! I've got the admin lady looking up where she can get the best deal :thumbup:
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Office choice has a cheaper house brand, same as Avery. Riskassess has made my life so much easier. I have 'borrowed' the library laser printer and when I do the labels I do extra so I can label the containers as well as the droppers.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

mtg wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 10:26 Office choice has a cheaper house brand, same as Avery. Riskassess has made my life so much easier. I have 'borrowed' the library laser printer and when I do the labels I do extra so I can label the containers as well as the droppers.
Interesting - and they are as good?