Banned from 1 NOV

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Banned from 1 NOV

Post by Merilyn1 »

RosalieL wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 09:51
gotolady wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 09:15 Thanks for all the information relating to the plastics ban. I am a DOE school that has NOT been told about this. I brought it up to the powers that be and they totally disregarded anything I had to say.
I now have decided that I won't purchase any more plastics but will use up the products I have and the school can wear any fines or whatever are the outcomes from incorrect plastic use.
It's $55,000 for the business and $11,000 for the individual so I would be not using what they have banned. You don't want to have to pay the $11,000 if you are caught. There is not actually a lot that has been banned that affects us. Straws, polystyrene cups and plastic cutlery are the main ones, but if they are being washed and re-used then that's ok anyway.

I am still working out what to do for straws that are used for blowing into water/universal indicator or limewater... What do you all think about silicon straws and sending them out in a Miltons solution? Or would stainless steel be better? I will need to order them for the start of school next year I think.

PS that really sucks that no-one will listen to you :redcard:
Can you use paper straws?
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Merilyn1 wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 11:45
RosalieL wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 09:51
gotolady wrote: 21 Nov 2022, 09:15 Thanks for all the information relating to the plastics ban. I am a DOE school that has NOT been told about this. I brought it up to the powers that be and they totally disregarded anything I had to say.
I now have decided that I won't purchase any more plastics but will use up the products I have and the school can wear any fines or whatever are the outcomes from incorrect plastic use.
It's $55,000 for the business and $11,000 for the individual so I would be not using what they have banned. You don't want to have to pay the $11,000 if you are caught. There is not actually a lot that has been banned that affects us. Straws, polystyrene cups and plastic cutlery are the main ones, but if they are being washed and re-used then that's ok anyway.

I am still working out what to do for straws that are used for blowing into water/universal indicator or limewater... What do you all think about silicon straws and sending them out in a Miltons solution? Or would stainless steel be better? I will need to order them for the start of school next year I think.

PS that really sucks that no-one will listen to you :redcard:
Can you use paper straws?
:crazy: I didn't think of that!! :whistling2: This is why this forum exists!!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Had that feeling you had over-thought it!
Reminds me of a story - the Americans spent a vast sum of money designing a ballpoint pen that would work in zero gravity at the international space station. When they arrived, the Russians showed them their solution - a pencil :lol:
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

So not Vic yet. Interestingly, who inspects your school to implement the fines if you do have banned plastics? And who pays the fine? I was quite pedantic in getting on top of banned chemicals years ago, the Art room was a bit dodgy, and I was told you just get a load of warnings as the Vic gov isn't going to fine the school because they are, in effect, fining themselves.