Prac Storage and Delivery

for anything else that doesn't fit.
ottenc
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Leighland Christian School
State/Location: TAS

Prac Storage and Delivery

Post by ottenc »

I'm wondering what everyone does for prac storage between classes and delivering to classrooms. We currently have some old trolleys we use, but they are large, unwieldy, and the current system just isn't going to cut it for us next year. Our current system has a trolley per teacher, but with teachers sharing grades, new teachers and new subjects next year, I just can't wrap my head around a system that will work for us. We can't just get more of the current trolleys, because we just dont have the room.

What trolleys do people use? Or do you have another system we could try out?
Looking for any possible suggestions!
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Prac Storage and Delivery

Post by Merilyn1 »

I have bench space in the prep room that I use for storing pracs until needed. Most times, the prac is just one tub's worth. I do have some trolleys for use when the prac has more than one tub's worth of equipment. I actually don't have much space for storing trolleys because I have two large benches in the prep room. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

I have heard of someone buying one of the tall Gratnell system for storing the prac tubs in. Could be useful if you don't have the bench space.
ottenc

Post by ottenc »

Most of our pracs are prepared in such a way that each group (8-12 groups in a class) have their own tub with everything they need in it. With the potential for 22 classes of 12 groups, I don't think there's enough bench space in the world :cheesy:
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

I have a deep bookshelf that fits the tubs in. The teachers come and get it and then return it.

At a previous school we had a similar set up but the shelves were in each lab and I would take the tubs to the room and bring back the used ones.

If you have room in the labs (and kids who won’t touch) would that be an option? Could you load up the trolley with pracs as you get them ready then take the whole lot and unload it in the required lab?
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

ottenc wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 13:16 Most of our pracs are prepared in such a way that each group (8-12 groups in a class) have their own tub with everything they need in it. With the potential for 22 classes of 12 groups, I don't think there's enough bench space in the world :cheesy:
You may have to rethink and get the teachers handing out equipment. That's what happens at most schools, so each class has one tub and the teacher has to do a bit of work at the start of the prac. There is just no way that we would have the space to allow each group their own tub, no matter how small the tub.

We also store most of the glassware, and other lab equipment in the classrooms. When finished with, it either gets sent back to the prep room for washing up or the students (are supposed to) put items back where they belong.
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

Merilyn1 wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 13:56
ottenc wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 13:16 Most of our pracs are prepared in such a way that each group (8-12 groups in a class) have their own tub with everything they need in it. With the potential for 22 classes of 12 groups, I don't think there's enough bench space in the world :cheesy:
You may have to rethink and get the teachers handing out equipment. That's what happens at most schools, so each class has one tub and the teacher has to do a bit of work at the start of the prac. There is just no way that we would have the space to allow each group their own tub, no matter how small the tub.

We also store most of the glassware, and other lab equipment in the classrooms. When finished with, it either gets sent back to the prep room for washing up or the students (are supposed to) put items back where they belong.
I misread that! Yeah, I'm with Merilyn. One tub per class (or 2 tubs if it doesn't all fit in one). No wonder you are strapped for space!
ottenc

Post by ottenc »

Merilyn1 wrote: 14 Nov 2022, 13:12 I have bench space in the prep room that I use for storing pracs until needed. Most times, the prac is just one tub's worth. I do have some trolleys for use when the prac has more than one tub's worth of equipment. I actually don't have much space for storing trolleys because I have two large benches in the prep room. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.
What kind of size are the tubs you're using?
RosalieL

Post by RosalieL »

239BDE55-F46C-46A6-AE6A-1430EDF39DA4.jpeg
Just tote trays here. It's a bit of a mess at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

We use a similar size tub.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

ottenc - you have been going above and beyond what is expected of most labbies. You have been providing 5 star service and apart from the space, the impact on your time must be huge. Expect a bit of resistance when/if you change procedures. Just know, that most of us provide the materials for the whole class in one tub and it is up to each teacher to divvy it out.
Good luck. Remember you can contact any of us for back up!
Rowanne
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St Joseph's School Port Lincoln
State/Location: SA

Post by Rowanne »

I have a high bench/shelf which my three shelve trolleys fit underneath ( I have five of them for two labs) which is ep one end of my prep lab close to the classroom doors. I have tubs/trays that I fill with equipment. Depending on the prac and how much equipment is required the teacher will get a trolley with multiple tubs or just a single tub. I have laminated labels that have teacher name, class, day/date, lesson and lab/room on one side and FINISHED on the other. I write on them with a whiteboard marker( so i can reuse them over and over)and tape them to the tub or trolley. Teachers collect from the prep lab because both labs come off of the prep. When the teacher is done they pull the label off, flip it over and place in the tub so I know they are done and I can clean it up (most teachers don't use this though :-| ). When the trolleys fill up I use the shelf above them to put tubs and when it's all full the overflow ends up on my prep bench. This generally only happens when we are doing lots of resource heavy STEM stuff.
Teachers are responsible for dividing the equipment for group use. unless it's something like a dissection they I would have prepared everything into the number of groups requested and stacked on a trolley.