potassium manganate?

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

potassium manganate?

Post by RosalieL »

Hi all,
I have a prac request for potassium manganate to be heated to produce oxygen. I can't see any in the chem store... A quick google shows that potassium permanganate (which we have plenty of) heated produces potassium manganate, manganese dioxide and oxygen. Would you use this instead? What do you do for creating oxygen pracs? (yr 8)
Thanks!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: potassium manganate?

Post by Lyn »

Just did a search on ChemSupply Safety Data sheets and potassium manganate comes up as potassium permanganate. So you will be okay to use potassium permanganate for a simple heating demonstration of producing oxygen and relighting a glowing splint. The other method of making oxygen is a little more involved using manganese dioxide and hydrogen peroxide. This uses displacement of water to collect oxygen in either a gas jar or a test tube and then relighting the glowing splint. Check out various methods demonstrated on U-tube videos.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS
State/Location: NSW

Post by RosalieL »

Hmmm... that's interesting that they come up as the same. They have different chemical formulae and properties! I can't even find a supplier for potassium manganate...

I have done the one with manganese dioxide before. I think that is a bit too involved for year 8. (which is what the sunglasses guy is supposed to be! I forgot 8 ) together makes 8) )
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Sorry Rosalie, I should have done a bit more research. Yes you are right that they are two different chemicals. It is interesting that it only comes up with the potassium permanganate on the ChemSupply site. I hope your potassium permanganate/oxygen practical went well.