and any other non-chem subjects.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

waste from dissections

Post by mtg »

How do you all get rid of hearts, eyeballs etc after a dissection? I freeze all my waste but as our skips are collected monthly and I work part time, never sure how long the stuff is in the bins and if it will pong, or never breakdown in the tip if I wrap it with too much plastic etc. If it is ok for my dog I take it home, I missed the skip last time so I chucked a pluck on my bonfire (I have a bit of land and burn off every so often), the chickens dashed in when it was semi burnt and stole it! Quite gross. I have chicken wings, eyeballs and kidneys to get rid of.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: waste from dissections

Post by Merilyn1 »

I have been told to freeze and put in the bin on bin day. However, I'm pretty sure that Food Tech, Hospitality and the Canteen don't have to take so much care with their food scraps! I take the waste to the skip bin on the day the dissection is done. The bins stink long before I put my stuff in there.

As for landfill, because of the anaerobic activity, not much breaks down well anyway.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

All the food scraps from the canteen etc go to the worm farms and chickens, apart from chicken bones I guess. I used to bin it but our bins aren't too feral these days. It seems like there should be a better solution.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Our skips are collected weekly. I keep them in the freezer until I remember to put it in on a Monday at the end of the day for collection Tuesday. Usually it is several months before I get around to it!
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

If the teachers don't want to take it home for their dogs , it goes in the skip . Same logic as Merilyn . Bins stink long before they are collected and my stuff probably doesn't make it dramatically worse .
melsid
Job Title: Lab Rat
School: PHS

Post by melsid »

Ours all go straight into the skip. Our skips are emptied at random, so there is no need to freeze them and wait until bin day.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

I wrap mine in paper and put it in my green bin at home - it becomes compost! I flat-out refuse to put it in landfill. Too wasteful, and it causes the release of methane, a potent greenhouse gas.
Last edited by Marama T on 08 Sep 2022, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

We can't put things like that in our green bin, although I think some of the newer systems accept food waste.
Need to check with your local council on this.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

Already have. They accept any organic matter.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

It will take a while for that system to float down to my place! We do compost at home and the chooks take care of things that can't be composted.
We only got a green bin about 5 years ago and I think we've used it about three times.