greenhouse

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

greenhouse

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Everyone!
I hope you've all had a good break. I was just wondering how people go about keeping plants in various schools. We (some of the teachers and me) have just been talking about setting up a greenhouse over time to have plants (and hopefully flowers) handy when we need them instead of going out to purchase them. Do you keep some near the labs or do you buy as you need? For example we just bought some hydrageas for the kids to do cuttings (I know it is the wrong time of year to be doing this but it's where they are at...) and so if I keep the main plants for next year we won't have to buy them again. Any ideas I can take to people higher up would be good!
Rosalie
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: greenhouse

Post by rae »

Hi,

I'm very lucky in that I have a north facing, window filled, prep room so we keep a variety of plants that we use through the year.I have ferns, madonna lilies, an african violet,palms etc. My aim is to add to these plants with some unusal ones. As for flowers the garden at the school is really lovely so we are lucky to find flowers out at most times of the year. We have a range of natives and exotics such as bulbs, roses, hydrangeas,magnolias cherry blossoms etc.

Lorrae
cheltie

Re: greenhouse

Post by cheltie »

We are lucky to have a large garden around the school but we also have an environment group who look after plants in the shade house and glass house. We also have a garden for growing herbs and veggies. The senior science girls look after this and we sometimes get to take home the veggies and some are used by TAS for cooking.
The girls seem to enjoy doing this and it is scary how many of them have never grown any food. Some are amazed to find out carrots grow in the ground!
Hope this gives you a few ideas.
Helen