Gel electrophoresis

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College
State/Location: NSW

Gel electrophoresis

Post by Marama T »

Hi there,

Does anyone have a simple method to prepare the set-up for gel electrophoresis? My head teacher has handed me a scientific article to use as my guide and it's not particularly helpful. It's a big ask I know, but any tips would be most welcome. Thanks!
Milo
State/Location: ACT

Re: Gel electrophoresis

Post by Milo »

We get the Carolina kits which have everything you need included in them. They also include proper DNA samples so it can get expensive. It's possible to do it with dyes etc. instead to bring the cost down.
Marama T

Post by Marama T »

My head teacher wants me to make the set-up myself using takeaway containers, agar and alfoil electrodes. I may have a nervous breakdown.
curie

Post by curie »

I've used a set up similar to this one. I can't find the actual link. http://www.exo.net/~jyu/activities/gel%20electro.pdf Instead of wires I used stainless steel electrodes mounted on their sides. (Horizontally) . I used two power packs connected in series (to give 24v) otherwise it took a while to get seperation ( I used the whole length of a chinese food container). I didn't have micropipettes, so soaked filter paper in food dye, let it dry, and punched out little circles with a hole punch . I then inserted these in the slots. It takes a bit to set up, depending on how many sets they want for each class. a very important point is that the separation must be observed and recorded before the colours reach the other end of the agar, and if the power supply is turned off the colours go everywhere.
Marama T

Post by Marama T »

THANK YOU!
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

May gets some hints Here
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Thank you Bigmack thats great
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Marama T

Post by Marama T »

Hi bigmack and curie,

Thanks for your help. We did two runs and I refined the technique a bit. I couldn't have done it without your help. I tried to put photos up to show you, but the files were too big. Anyway, much appreciated.