non-commercial, thanks.
vlclabbie
Job Title: Lab Chick
Suburb: Albury
State/Location: NSW

Stick Insect eggs

Post by vlclabbie »

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if any kind labbie out there would have some spare Stick Insect eggs or any other insect for that matter - would love rhino beetles too!?! Not sure that the rhinos come via eggs?!

Only one of my last lot hatched & he died recently... RIP Egbert Stickbert :cry2: ....... & a teacher accidently threw out the rest of the eggs although I was a bit suspect they weren't going to hatch anyway....

The kids are missing them (personally I'm NOT missing the bit where I have to look after them....! but I really don't mind!)...

Thankyou very much if you can help.

Cheers Kel
lada

Re: Stick Insect eggs

Post by lada »

Hi Kel, I will check for you and let you know. We have winter here in Sydney, so eggs should be dormant, but try telling them. We just had about 10-20 hatched in last week.I like :wub: them a lot, not so impreesed with looking after them. :redcard:
They are very easy to look after.

Regards Lada :coffee:
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

Thanks Lada :thumbup:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Hi Lada
Do you think I could have some aswell I will pay for them. :thumbup:
Do you send them in the mail???
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
sammy
State/Location: WA

Post by sammy »

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone in the west keeps stick insects ??? I would love to get my hands on some as I think it would be a great to have in the class rooms. If anyone knows or has any i would love any info :D

Thanks Heaps Sammy
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

They are great Sammy! I hope you find some - our kids adored our sole male.... til I found him on the bottom of the cage. Poor Egbert RIP...
lada

Post by lada »

Hi everybody,

I have a few eggs i can send to you,
but if you want instant result, get a breeding pair from a pet shop or from Australian Insect Farm, where I got ours.

Kids love the insect. :wub:
Lada :coffee:
lada

Post by lada »

OK, I have included webside, but you can find it on google.
~megz~

Post by ~megz~ »

Wow - you can breed stick insects? That's so cool! How difficult are they to look after? What sorts of things do they need?

I have a big empty aquarium sitting in my prep room that I would love to set up as a home for some little creatures, but have thus far been restricted by the old 'who's going to look after them in the holidays' argument... I'd be happy to come in a couple of times a week but not everyday...

I'm sure our kids here would be very enthusiastic for some insect friends :thumbup: Can anyone give me more info about what's involved?
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. ~Wernher Von Braun
lada

Post by lada »

They are very easy to look after. I have a large fishtank with a well-fitted lid made of flyscreen mesh.
Feed them about 2-3x a week fresh leaves. Ours are gourmet eaters, only like gum leaves, but there is a long list of prefered food.
Their droppings with eggs are among the leave litter on the bottom of the tank. I spray the insect with fine water spray everytime I change leaves and about Dec to April new insects hatch from the eggs below. At that time,If the place is too dry, I spray bottom of the tank with water, but not too much, so the leaves do not rot.
We got our first breeding pair :wub: from Australian Insect Farm.

Out students take turn in taking them home.
Lada :coffee:
noona
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Thanks Lada
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
vlclabbie

Post by vlclabbie »

Thank you Lada! I have them all ready to go.... Cmon hatch little darlin's!

Thank you Lada for your generosity! You guys on here are all so kind with both your time & things for us newbie types. I've been on the job for a bit over a year now so I'm slowly learning bits & pieces but it's so comforting knowing you guys are only a forum post away!

Thanks~ :clap3:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Has anyone got some spare eggs that they could send me? I would like to make sure that our insects don't interbreed so much and would like to introduce some new "blood". We have Wuefling, spiny leaf and Children's at the moment. My Goliath all died from old age, so would love some goliath eggs also.
I will be at St Mary's on Friday - if you will be there or you can post to me..
PLEASE! anyone
mtg
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Can I just grab some out of the garden or do they have to be special types?
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

IF you have some in your garden - woweeeee.

just send them and I will work out what they are.. thank you so much..see PM for address
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with some stick insect eggs, I'm afraid the ones I've got seem to be past their use by date.
mtg
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

How big a tank or cage would I need? I've been offered some and I would like to try it. If they have to go home with students is that just holidays or weekends too? How hot can they tolerate? The display room can get a bit warm.
carolyn miller

Post by carolyn miller »

The sticky ladies will lay eggs even if they do not have a male partner. When this happens you will end up with only female insects, when fertilised you can get male or female offspring. Non fertilised eggs take up to twelve months to hatch and the fertilised ones hatch in about 9 months or soon after with a little bit of humidity. they are called spiny leaf insects the ones we have and they are easy to look after and great for the kids to handle, gently. I change our leaves once a week, gum leaves and spray with water each morning.
macca

Post by macca »

Morning everyone, Hoping someone can help me out, chasing some viable insect eggs. Mine aren't any good, not having any luck hatching them they are many years old.

If anyone could help that would be great thanks
macca

Post by macca »

macca wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 08:20 Morning everyone, Hoping someone can help me out, chasing some viable insect eggs. Mine aren't any good, not having any luck hatching them they are many years old.

If anyone could help that would be great thanks
Still looking if anyone can help me out that would be great. :coffee: