dishwasher rack

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

dishwasher rack

Post by Kathryn »

Hi all

We have an ordinary household dishwasher. It does not hold most lab glassware securely. Just wondering if anyone has bought an additional basket eg something made for glasses, and if so does it work well?
Kathryn :-)
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: dishwasher rack

Post by Merilyn1 »

The only thing I have bought is the test tube baskets. They work really well. I make do with the rack in the dishwasher, although the newer ones have shorter spikes than the old ones, but so far I haven't had anything break.
bigmack
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Were did you get them Merilyn ? I've also got a domestic dishwasher and the Cutlery basket in mine doesn't hold enough test tubes .
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Our ones came from Haines but I've seen them elsewhere. Attached is a screen shot from Haines website. Buy the big ones, as pictured, I've had the smaller ones but never used them. With folding down some of the spikes in my dishwasher, I can fit four in the bottom rack, that's if you've got a washer that you can fold down, otherwise, you may only fit in two.
Basket.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Oops, just saw they now have one bigger than this, but not sure how it would fit in to a domestic dishwasher.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

Best thing I bought was the dishwasher test tube rack (from Haines I think, but others also stock it). It's expensive but has paid for itself several times over. I can fit so much more into the dishwasher, including the baskets Merilyn is talking about, which are also brilliant for things like petri dishes, small plastic funnels, lids, etc - things that can't normally go into the dishwasher. Highly recommended!
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Does that rack fit comfortably into a domestic dishwasher? I've looked at them before but couldn't work out if it was the right size.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

yes we had a number of them different sizes, and never had a problem fitting them in any model or make of dishwasher.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Kathryn
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

Does that test tube rack work for things like measuring cylinders, conical flasks, beakers etc? I am finding that the spikes on my dishwasher are so short that most things wobble around hitting each other. I do already have one of the test tube baskets.
Prima

Post by Prima »

Yes it works really well for most glassware - but it doesn't take the 100ml measuring cylinders. Trust me, it's a great investment, so much more useful than the rack used in kitchen dishwashers, I don't know why I even keep the one that came with the washer! Actually, I have put that on top of the dishwasher and use it as an extra drying rack for ice cream tubs and dissecting trays, so it still has a purpose.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I learnt a good trick from some colleagues in Queensland schools.
Bundle 5 or 6 test tubes together with a rubber band and only use one dishwasher spike to hold all of them. It works a treat!! :clap3:
Prima

Post by Prima »

Genius!