Chemwatch 'fun'

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
LabMad
Suburb: South West Sydney
State/Location: NSW

Re: Chemwatch 'fun'

Post by LabMad »

400ish Chemicals have now been uploaded to Chemwatch and Mini SDS printed in colour and bound :clap3: [-o< \:D/ =D>
Lab Madness
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

bigmack wrote:Despite the excitement of realizing I don't have to do anymore labelling (According to Alan Smith ) ,I discovered today that the labels I had already put on all the Hydrochloric acid containers has the wrong GHS symbols on it . A Scull and cross bones and a Corrosive .
It should be a Corrosion and an Exclamation mark .

Has anyone else noticed this ?

So Chemwatch must have been having a spack the day I did them and now I will have to relabel them :crazy:
Kinda makes be worry how many others I relabeld might be wrong :cry2:
Re-labelling has been an interesting exercise. The GHS rating Chemwatch puts on things is vastly different to Riskassess. As we subscribe to Riskassess and it is what the teachers are basing their risk assessments on, I figure that is the option I am going with.

I've also found on Chemwatch, there can be multiple entries for the one solution, each with different ratings. We could all lose a lot of sleep trying to figure this out!
Lorikeet
Job Title: Purveyor of stuff
School: Broughton Anglican College
Suburb: Menangle

Post by Lorikeet »

Not using chemwatch - its a third party website ... It is too onerous and after speaking with others am sticking to my excel sheet far more information and easier to manage ... If chemwatch decides to remove a product you wont know and it will no longer appear on your manifest ... DoE released a extensive and ehaustive list of chemicals permitted in school with such things as hazard statement numbers, ADG class , user group etc ... I have just cut and paste the lines i need to form my manifest ... I am sticking with risk assess for labelling again to many discrepancies in chemwatch Good luck if you persist ... more willpower than me ;)
With thanks Kate :coffee:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Lorikeet wrote: Good luck if you persist ... more willpower than me ;)
I agree Lorikeet. I've cut nearly all ties with Chemwatch. The major problem is that it is not designed for schools and the piddling little amounts we put in tiny bottles. I've been really happy with the Riskassess labels - not always perfect, but just simple. I use my own spreadsheet for our chemical register, just so much easier to design it the way I want it in a format non-science people can understand.
vickir

Post by vickir »

I'm with you Merilyn!