Register of Hazardous Chemicals

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Adrianna
State/Location: NSW

Register of Hazardous Chemicals

Post by Adrianna »

All work places with chemicals are to have a Register of Hazardous Chemicals. Recently I was labelling Ammonium Thiocyanate, from Chemwatch labels onto a another bottle (lid broke on original). The new GHS labels do not have "Hazardous" on the label. How do we know what chemicals are hazardous under the new GHS system to compile the register. I know now because we are in change over mode. Will the register be called Hazardous Chemicals Register?
Adrianna
sunray18

Re: Register of Hazardous Chemicals

Post by sunray18 »

The labels - that is odd! The labels from Chemwatch have hazardous on them in RED if they are hazardous..If they aren't Chemwatch lables say non-hazardous.
new registers are "Register of Hazardous Chemiclas".
I have just been updating my dangerous and hazardous register - and realise i wll need a new format as mine has columns for the R and S codes... which have now changed. I think I will need to also add a column for the pictograms.. has anyone seen any sort of official format
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

This is what Chemwatch replied when I asked about the new GHS format not having 'Hazardous' on the label for Ammonium Thiocyanate (s).

"GHS utilises the words DANGER and WARNING as a signal words to indicate
the relative level of severity of hazard. DANGER - used for more severe or significant hazard."

Therefore the new labels (GHS format) will not have 'Hazardous' on the label ! If you look at the new GHS labels in Chemwatch on the RHS the label does not have hazardous but the same chemical with the label in the present fomat does have 'Hazardous'.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Chemwatch still have not updated the small labels! I have had to fudge between what they have for large labels and the small ones
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Are you sure I have definetely used small GHS labels from chemwatch?
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

I have been using the GHS labels from Chemwatch and they have all the new pictograms & warnings, pity I dont have a colour printer though
Lisa :thumbup:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

not all of them have what is needed.. some do ..
superbug

Post by superbug »

Is that why when I print out hydrochloric acid 0.1M, I see a blank page under the chemwatch GHS 14 labels. is that because it hasnt been updated/completed?
lada

Post by lada »

No, Superbug,
it is non hazardous.
I thought the same as you, but chemwatch has blank a well, just with non hazardous sign up the top.
Lada
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

Adrianna wrote: Recently I was labelling Ammonium Thiocyanate, from Chemwatch labels onto a another bottle (lid broke on original). The new GHS labels do not have "Hazardous" on the label.Adrianna
Hmmm this happened to me today while labelling this Chemical . ( OK , hazardous was the wrong terminology ....but Adrianna was right)

It has several Hazard statements and Precautionary statements and also a GHS <!> symbol .....but Signal word said " Not applicable"

I rung Chemwatch and when the Nice Lady on the help desk checked the school Database sure enough there was a blatant error which was not on the standard Database .

She said it will be fixed tonight \:D/ ....That's one label I can put off printing for a while :whistling2:
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

when i looked up 0.1M of NaOh this morning the label is blank too, so in GHS there is nothing to report on this chemical?
So I can just print a blank label with the name on it?
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

sorry 0.1 of sulphuric, not NaOh
shaz.H
Job Title: jack of all trades
School: Thomas Hassall Anglican Coleege
Suburb: Middleton Grange

Post by shaz.H »

Hello,
I never just print a blank label, I will edit and put in risk phrases for example 0.1 M NAOH- R36/38 Irritating to skin and eyes and then in safety phrases S24/25 Avoid contact with skin and eyes
S26 In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water, if irritation seek medical advice.

I also put the safety goggle pictogram in, and add the supplier & phone number or address down the bottom of the label.
Once i edit these I save them to a pdf and file for use or editing again next time.
shaz
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

I'm still learning how to edit them.
You have to self teach everything these days.
Its amazing what I have taught myself, Chemwatch is not the easiest thing I am finding though.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Just found another
Ammonium Molybdate ( chemwatch number 10049-1 ) ...this one is also full of Hazard statements and has two pictograms yet the signal word says Not applicable in the Chemgold MSDS .

They still have not corrected the error for Ammonium thiocyanate ....such a bloody waste of time cross referencing a dozen similar Chems :banghead:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Chemwatch seems to have ironed out a few bugs in their data base as hoped would happen when they switched to a new server .

Ammonium Thiocyanate and Ammonium Molybdate now print the correct Signal word and GHS symbols on labels .

The whole site seems a little faster and stable