Laboratory Manual

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Laboratory Manual

Post by Lyn »

For the new people in Labby land you will definitely need to have your science department buy "The Laboratory - A Science Reference and Preparation Manual (Revis) by B. Dungey. Can be bought through Southern Biological or possibly ordered through a good book store. When you get your copy do not let it out of your sight. Another very useful pdf download is Laboratory Arts and Recipes by Peter Ellis (Bendigo Senior Secodary College) edited by J. Hasse. Just Google that. I have just looked it up and the original document appears to have additional information added. My original download was 32 pages and now it is 43 pages. Check out the RTG (Regional technicians Group) for information on how to do things, pracs etc.
Can other lab techs in different states possibly add to this information for new labbies.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Laboratory Manual

Post by Merilyn1 »

Good idea Lyn. I've found networking, here and just locally really helpful. It's good to have someone nearby you can ask for help, especially with sourcing materials e.g. good butchers, buying dry ice etc. I also completed my Cert III at TAFE, yes it is an expensive exercise these days but TAFE will let you pay the fees monthly or even fortnightly. The formal training just clarified some points, gave me the skills to do things "properly" e.g. making solutions and gave me a lot more confidence in my work.

And don't forget Science Assist. They are gradually putting together quite a good resource.
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Forgot about Science Assist, was just focussed on the other stuff. Science Assist now has quite a bit of information on their site. I especially like the SOP's that are there. Procedures for diluting concentrated acids, dissections, operating lasers etc. Download them and put them in a folder/s. Let the teachers know that these SOP,s are there for their benefit as well. The SOP,s will also be useful to have on hand when WHS do an inspection. Also useful if your school is being audited.

P.S. Have never had any specific formal science training. Have participated in a variety of workshops over the years. Could possibly be classified as off the street on the job training and what I didn't know I learnt originally from another lab tech in the school who was here when I first started. I also learnt a lot from books and the internet. After 30 odd years I am still learning, particularly from all of those wonderful people who inhabit this site. I am grateful to you all and thank you.

P.P.S. That thirty odd years working here has also allowed me to get a Bachelor of Arts (Fine Arts) degree and a Grad Dip Ed in Adult and Vocational Education. Had to keep the mind active, or was it to take my mind off being here! All done part time. Who knows, they may be useful once I retire. :thumbup:
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks for starting this thread, Lyn, and telling us about your journey in 'Labland' - what an inspiration for the newbies, and all of us :clap3:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Jody1
Job Title: Allrounder
School: Casula High School (currently)
Suburb: Casula

Post by Jody1 »

Being only new to Labbie Land, this is absolutely gold for me!! Every time I come on here, I find more and more useful information! Thank you all so much for everyone that contributes all this useful and essential information.

My greatest hope is that one day, I can return the favour!!!
Jody :D
labratscience
State/Location: VIC

Post by labratscience »

Another great resource is the CLEAPSS recipe handbook, (UK safety authority), is brilliant, if you can download a copy.
Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

Thanks, labratscience, I had not heard of CLEAPSS, what a great resource. I found a video which shows how to put a piece of glass tubing in a rubber stopper, makes it look so easy!
http://science.cleapss.org.uk/Resource- ... opper.aspx
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

Another good resource is - Laboratory Arts and Recipes by Peter Ellis and Judy Daniel (Hasse) which can be downloaded from the net. It has been revised several times since it was first produced. Techniques for handling glass tubing and rubber bungs, methods for cleaning glassware, maintenance of bunsens etc. It is quite a useful little manual to have on hand.
Happy Labby

Post by Happy Labby »

Thanks everyone as i am also new to labby world the info that everyone so kindly shares is a wonderful source of information