GHS on Mini SDS

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

GHS on Mini SDS

Post by Labbie »

Hi folks, I am about to up date our Mini SDS, via chemwatch, but they still have the old Diamond on them. The new one is tiny and right down the bottom. Surely that can not be correct?????????????????????????????? :yuck: 8O :redcard:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: GHS on Mini SDS

Post by Merilyn1 »

Worksafe do not recognise SDSs from a third party. The Safety Data Sheet needs to be in correct GHS format (which stipulates a particular layout) for all hazardous chemicals, to be compliant. If you have the mini SDS you will still need to have the full SDS available to all staff who use the chemical. So, if you are printing the mini SDS and it is incorrect, it is the full data sheet that you need to be concerned about.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I have checked the full SDS they have been printed etc, just starting on the Mini's. Do not you put the Mini's out with each chemical???????????????? :clap3:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

No, we don't here. I work on the premise that the SDSs need to be accessible to all staff and they should have read the SDS before using the chemical. Not saying that is what happens but that is what is supposed to happen! I can see the advantages of the mini sheet in the case of an emergency eg spill but you have to be careful that the information is correct. We also use Riskassess and a copy of the risk assessment goes with the prac which has some brief handling details included but not a substitute for the SDS.
AnnNos
Job Title: Science Assistant

Post by AnnNos »

I put the mini for each chemical in with the experiment and they are used by the students to read the safety information on the chemicals they are using.