Minimum Requirements for a GHS Label ?

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Minimum Requirements for a GHS Label ?

Post by bigmack »

On Chemwatch label templates there are a few but not many GHS templates . The information on all of these varies conciderably .

Not being happy with any of the labels , I have been playing around with D-gen label maker on Chemwatch and it is very good :whistling2:
But I wonder what is the bare minimum I am allowed to include on a label to Appease

Incidentely I have been Right clicking the labels I have made and "print " them to Adobe PDF where I can edit things I don't like ( for example where The label for Sodium Chloride has Sodium Chloride in brackets under the name sodium Chloride :oops: ) and add Chemical symbols WITH subscripts :D
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: Minimum Requirements for a GHS Label ?

Post by Merilyn1 »

Ah, good question Bigmack! There is a Workcover Code of Practice titled "Labelling of workplace chemicals". It does make reference to small containers, but like most Workcover information, it is not 100% clear. Do you have a WHS officer that you can contact for advice?

I like your tip about editing the Chemwatch labels. Not sure if everyone (including me) has access to the editing software in Adobe though.
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Thanks merilyn1....just checked it out. http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/sit ... micals-cop then down load the pdf
2.1 What information must be included on a label?

A hazardous chemical is correctly labelled if the chemical is packed in a container that includes
the following:

ï‚„ is written in English
ï‚„ the product identifier
ï‚„ the name, Australian address and business telephone number of either the manufacturer or importer
ï‚„ the identity and proportion disclosed, in accordance with Schedule 8 of the WHS Regulations, for
each chemical ingredient
ï‚„ any hazard pictogram(s) consistent with the correct classification(s) of the chemical
ï‚„ any hazard statement(s), signal word and precautionary statement(s) that is consistent with the
correct classification(s) of the chemical
ï‚„ any information about the hazards, first aid and emergency procedures relevant to the chemical,
which are not otherwise included in the hazard statement or precautionary statement, and
ï‚„ the expiry date of the chemical, if applicable.
Hmmm, as you say not 100% clear for small containers . Hope CSIS will come through with some practical help on these .
My interpretation is you squeeze in as much as you can .

Luckily I have left pretty much what was required after trimming off the fat in D-gen label maker ......just wanted to make sure I was leaving enough . :whistle:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

My bad :blush2:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Sorry, I only got the outline of the label when I downloaded it.
It is near impossible to get the correct manufacturer from Chemwatch and if it is a solution that we have made up ourselves, who is the manufacturer?

As I've said elsewhere on Chemtalk, I am going to the Riskassess training next term and am hoping on getting some clear advice from that. I've given up trying to sort it out myself, it's all too "iffy" and giving me a headache.
LizGard

Post by LizGard »

Hi, I have made some labels using D-Gen in Chemwatch too. It's a good program but fiddly, and depending on the information, I have to often re size the boxes to fit the information, as auto fill does not always work. :-(
It is especially an issue to fit all the information into a dropper bottle size.
I made a specific labels for each DET user DOT. As far as I can tell I have met all the label requirements, but still not entirely happy.
I have attached the labels I have been playing with.
Cheers
Liz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.