Chemical transport in lifts

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
bindi
State/Location: NSW

Chemical transport in lifts

Post by bindi »

Hi all,
Lucky us we are getting new labs! My concern is that we will be on the 3rd floor :?
Does anyone know if there is any laws and regulations about moving chemicals in lifts?
I am assuming that architects know all the rules and regs but something doesn't feel right!!! :crazy:
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: Chemical transport in lifts

Post by rae »

Hi Bindi,
Never presume the architects know anything about the safety requirements. I think they spend too much time making this look pretty. Cover your own butt and make sure it is done properly. You can't go back once its finished.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Get your WHS Work Health & Safety team on to it. They would have the resources to check this all out. D of E or Private, it makes no senses to have a prep room or chemistry class room on the 3rd floor.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
MissKat
Job Title: Science Technician
School: Cranbrook School
Suburb: Bellevue Hill

Post by MissKat »

Having used university labs that required lifts, I know there's one designed for transport of materials and chemicals. I'm not sure about a school setting though.

And also, don't believe the architects know too much about safely and regulations. I've been in my new building for just over a year and I wish some of it was designed better or even had things delivered to us that we suggested in the first place. Definitely keep up to date with what they are doing!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Architects! DO NOT GET ME STARTED! When I worked in the Uni, the store man woudl put the chemicals in the goods lift and then go in the persons lift - he never traveled in the lift with the chemicals.
However, we have only one lift - and that is a NEW advancement in this place. My prep room and 4 labs are on the top floor, the rest are downstairs and in other buildings. I consider that the chemicals we transport to classes are not concentrated and they should be okay to travel in the lift with. Not so sure about deliveries of concentrated chemicals - I think I will put them in the lift and walk up the stairs.. ring Workcover to ask