Repairing Trundle Wheels

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Repairing Trundle Wheels

Post by Merilyn1 »

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for repairing trundle wheels. The students are very good at losing the box on the wheel that make the "click" sound. Trouble is, they are not very good at finding them. The teachers don't seem to be checking that they are missing before returning them. These things aren't cheap to replace.

So does anyone have any suggestion for repairing ones that have lost the box? Or do you have a way of making them more secure?

I've attached a couple of photos to explain what I mean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Narelle01

Re: Repairing Trundle Wheels

Post by Narelle01 »

exact thing happened to ours.
I bought a new one which is wooden, of very poor quality. I had to PVA glue the metal tab in place so it clicked on the screw head!

Why do the companies import such crap quality- and why are we forced to purchase it.

As I was heating and bending more glass delivery tubes the other day I realised that there is still skill involved in being a labby - so much of our equipment requires us to make it!! (&repair it, or remake it!!)
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Re: Repairing Trundle Wheels

Post by Merilyn1 »

I too, get annoyed Narelle, with getting poor quality equipment even when paying a good price. Off the top of my head, the trundle wheels are about $60-70 each and they don't "break", they just fall apart.

The other thing that annoys me is buying equipment that has been incorrectly described in the catalogue, including the wrong photo. Then when you want to return it, you have to squeeze free return post out of them. Time wasting!