chemwatch labels

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

chemwatch labels

Post by mtg »

I have just had to reapply to join Chemwatch as the links on my other computer thru' DEECD have disappeared. My previous issues, apart from the time it took to download, were that the labels all looked the same and were in tiny writing. I got sick of the kids and staff mixing them up, eg the molarity on the dropping bottles and small containers was just too small and the labels for different categories (I don't have a colour printer) all look the same. I type up labels with large bold print for the strength and the chemical, use stickers for the hazards and cautions, date and recipe in smaller writing. Was I not using chemwatch properly? Has it changed? Is there a way to alter the labelling section? It takes ages to type up all my labels.
superbug
State/Location: NSW

Re: chemwatch labels

Post by superbug »

You can make you own labels on chewatch. You use the program on left hand side of page called d-gen lab. if you google dgen labels you should be able to find some videos on how to do it. you can select fonts, size and you can select the info you want/need on the label. I hope this helps you mtg.
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns
State/Location: QLD

Post by dss8386 »

I copy and paste chemwatch labels into word and manipulate them myself.

I found it hard to see the labels so by manipulating them I can make writing bigger and add any extra information needed. I keep a template and just copy and past the info across. See attached. Then I print labels on the hazard colour e.g Red (4), Orange(3), Yellow (2), Blue (1) and White (0)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
superbug

Post by superbug »

this is just ONE label that I have made up using D-gen labels. Once you make the template and save it, you can select it for each chemical on chemwatch. I just made up several sizes for the different size bottles I have on hand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtg

Post by mtg »

Thanks for all that. I've saved all the attachments and will allot myself a time to learn labelling. I am locked out of so many sites here that I might have to hang out in the IT room.
superbug

Post by superbug »

i set my template close to the edge so I would not have to cut an extra edge, lol
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

I like the bit on the Chemwatch labels that says "keep in original container" try putting that label on a dropper bottle! Really ..... the Chemwatch labels for school use are not as good as the old CSIS labels. And it seems each labbie is processing their own label using Dgen . I think it should be standardised across the school sector and not in "font size 6" with the GHS/Hazard Codes in number form. Are students going to look at a table on the wall to see what Hazard Code 371 means and how do we decide what year group can use it?. Makes CSIS look pretty good now!
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Adrianna,
thats why I have put the words rather than code. My boss would prefer the writing to be legible and visible rather than contain everything on a tiny label. we are only putting name & conc on dropper bottles but on tray everything and anything goes.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

This is precisely why I am waiting for a definate directive from the Department with regard to exactly what the labels on school chemicals need to look like.
I do not wish to waste time and resources putting wrong or overdone labels on things.
I understand from previous post that work in underway on this.
mtg

Post by mtg »

What a relief, I am not the only one! I bought magnifying glasses so I could read the Chemwatch labels!
dime

Post by dime »

I'm with fibreweb. I ended up designing my own labels, using chemwatch and importing into a template on Word. But I'm not going to change anything till the department says so and what they want. No-one ever checked what I'd done or even commented, so until there are CLEAR instructions (which I don't believe we ever got) I'm happy with how things are. :D
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Does anyone have easy to follow instructions on how to create your own chemwatch labels that I could have?

Thanks in anticipation
Lorrae
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Rae,
if you go to the chemwatch site , on the top right hand side you will see some icons. the first one is A-Z if you click on the next one which looks like a tent that will give you a video of Dgen (select dgen icon). I made my own notes and followed that but then I started to try my own things. hope this helps

Superbug
rae

Post by rae »

I'm feeling very pleased with myself! I made my own label yesterday from chemwatch using instruction I found on here!
Don't know who posted the instructions or what post it was in but they were great!!! =D> =D> :D
superbug

Post by superbug »

Well done Rae, great work!!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

cannot find instructions :oops:
Cheers Jazz
littltesttube

Post by littltesttube »

They look great. I had a look today at the instruction video and it seemed straight forward enough! Will have to give it a go.
superbug

Post by superbug »

yes i found the video was great but when i got the hang of it I started playing with it and tweaking it too what I wanted and needed.
rae

Post by rae »

Jazz I can fax to you if you PM the number
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

LABEL 1.PNG
#-o just discovered today that I do not have to scroll half way down select 14 GHS. All I needed to do is type 14 L
Cheers Jazz