A general discussion and Q & A forum.
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Re: chemical Register

Post by nickykinz »

I do my manifest in Chemwatch but find the information much easier to manipulate in excel. So I just export it to Excel and then I can put things in different orders and use the SDS date to check my SDS folders.
Also, I took from the whole "household" thing that you only don't put it in if it is used in the intended way. i.e. dishwashing liquid used just for washing dishes doesn't go in but if you use it to make volcanoes then it does.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

Post by Jazz »

This is great template; you can delete chemicals you do not have, D.G, packaging groups and CSIS codes included. Will save you heaps of time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Jazz
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

WOW Jazz that is great. Thank you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
superbug

Post by superbug »

Yes Wow and thanks Jazz! that looks like it took you forever to do. So much info!!!!
I Have a column with the expiry date of the sds (mini and full). Is there some other method you track the expiry dates because you dont have it on your spreadsheet? Just wondering!

Thanks again

Superbug
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

i wish to take credit for this, but it is just copy and paste from RACI website, (fantastic website by the way) I was looking for good template (for the Chemical Manifest).
I do have SDS expiry date in my Chemical Register though. Now with new chemwatch being so easy to use, I'll use just their website to generate Report; this can double up as Manifest and Register),do risk assessment for the whole school, everything is included, newest SDS sheets, Packaging groups etc etc (I am chemical safety officer must do for everyone, Art department is real :cry2: nightmare )
Cheers Jazz
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

I have used DEECD Chemical Register, fairly simple to use but missing a few of my chems, which I had to add. Not as elaborate as Jazz's tho'.
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hey JAZZ,
I have had a look at the raci website and could not see where you got your template from or for that matter any relevant info that I could use or understand (lol).

Cheers Superbug
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi Superbug,
Had a quick look and found it here.
http://www.raci.org.au/branches/nsw-bra ... tion-group
And then look under CSIS. 2013 inventory codes
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I am in a private school. We use the "Denbigh Admin" program which has a Chemical Register Program. Unfortunately, the Denbigh people did not think of putting a column for MSDS Expiry Date!! I keep suggesting it. It may come (???)

Ian
Matt_Coffs

Post by Matt_Coffs »

My school uses Denbigh Admin. Not for chemicals but for student info etc. Our IT people can manipulate any part of the database so you may be able to have MSDS expiry date added.

Matt
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

I am sure you are right Matt, but my school actually part owns the Denbigh company (satarted 20 years ago by one of our Technology staff!) and they seem to busy to make any alterations that I suggest. Maybe the request needs to come from outside. From one of our "Paying customers"!!

cheers
Ian
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi all,
If you use excel spreadsheet, Do you print all sds's or store sds's on your PC ?

Superbug

PS We use dendigh here. I didnt know it could be a database for chemicals.
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

I have gleaned from these posts that only hazadous chemicals need to be recorded on a chemical register. When I took over as science assistant in a DEC school I inherited our school chemical stocktake so I have continued with what my predecessor did and this meant recording everything like glue sticks, poster paint, everyday cleaning products like dishwashing liquid, spray and wipe, handwash, hobby glue,liquid paper etc which different departments had. So does that mean I am not required to record these everyday use items on the register?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Chemical Register and or Chemical Manifest
What is a hazardous chemicals register?
A hazardous chemicals register is a list of hazardous chemicals at your workplace, accompanied by the current safety data sheet (SDS) for each of those chemicals. All hazardous chemicals that are stored, handled or used at the workplace must be listed on the register except where they are:
• in-transit, or
• consumer products.

A manifest is different to a register, and is intended primarily for emergency services personnel to use where they are required to respond to an emergency situation at the workplace. A manifest is required to contain additional information about hazardous chemicals at the workplace than is in a register, including the hazard classes and categories of the hazardous chemicals and details of the type, size and locations of containers present at the workplace.
work Cover
Cheers Jazz
superbug

Post by superbug »

We were told by independent school board that " non hazardous and household cleaning and general use products are not required to have an sds".
But we do have minis for some as they are used in the classroom for experiments such as bleach. But general cleaner cupboards we dont bother, like handsoap etc.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes you are on the correct path, only Hazardous chemicals, save the paper and time. Think it got out of hand, with some people having time on their hands.
Regards Labbie

mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

Note: If a domestic product is used at school for other than personal use, it is classified as a workplace chemical. The substance is therefore covered by the Hazardous Substances Regulation and must be included in the register. Although workcover states only hazardous goods need to be on a chemical register, the CSIS says differently. Tried the workcover approach at a recent WHS meeting but was told to continue with including household items as per CSIS.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Think only bleach would come under hazardous, not liquid soap, washing up liquid, etc glass cleaner.
Regards Labbie

MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

My understanding is also that if it is not hazardous and used for purpose it was manufactured for eg washing up for dishwashing liquid it does not need a sds or to be listed, but if it is used for purpose other than original purpose eg PVA glue to make slime it does need to be listed and have a sds.....MariaC