GHS and Labels

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
glenpaul
State/Location: NSW

GHS and Labels

Post by glenpaul »

Hi
While you are on the subject of Registers etc how is everyone going with the new GHS, SDS, labelling?
We find we can't use the Chemwatch labels as they seem to be too big for dropper bottles and we can't use a colour printer so we have been using the Chemical Label Maker V5 from Omega Scientific which seems to have less information. We hope we are doing the right thing as we are an Independent school and are due for registration Inspection next year.
How are you moving over to the new SDS sheets? We have started to go through the Chemwatch site and printing all the Hazardous SDS for the chemicals we have. Do we need to do this?
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns
State/Location: QLD

Re: GHS and Labels

Post by dss8386 »

I have been changing over to GHS since this year. I copy from chemwatch and paste it into word. The old chemwatch made it a lot easier to do this, the new ffx is a little harder to copy over to word. If you would like to know how, I can show you.

I have set up a database for all labels. its a little time consuming but once you have save them. that's it. I have attached a couple of my own labels. I have made small ones for glass droppers, medium ones for big plastic droppers and large ones for bottles.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

When you do labels from chemwatch, choose the '14 labels per A4 page in GHS format'. These are smaller enough for dropper bottles.
Unfortunately you cannot insert a colour dot onto these labels before printing.
I have set up my own templates using D-Gen on chemwatch to fit the small dropper bottles, which allows me to insert a colour dot, so when I print them up I have nothing more to do to them.
Failing that, if you use the templates that came with CSIS a long time ago and cut and paste the info across from chemwatch you can do it this way.

I had done all my labels and saved them by the end of last year, but chemwatch changed everything AGAIN!
They now have a set statement on the RHS of the labels - almost every label has this now- all the same wording.
I have set up a small label with only these phrases on it. I have printed these up in bulk.
Now when I do labels I can expand the LHS phrases across the label, which makes the depth of it smaller.
Then attach the phrase label across the back of the dropper bottle.
hope that makes sense and helps out.

Due to attending a conference with ASET quite a lot of us heard about the GHS a couple of years ago and so have had a head start on it. I am working through my Hazardous Register updating those SDS that are out of date, as I had already set it up to comply with GHS.
It is a LOT of work - and we don't have a lot of time left do we!
superbug

Post by superbug »

I have done all small dropper bottle trays. not sure if I will do all dropper bottles individually. As long as it has a name & concentration I think that is good enough esp when they are 30ml or the plastic bottles, cause as you squeeze the plastic ones the label comes off.
I use chemwatch - D-GEN labels. this is where you can make any size label or include whatever info you like.
I have included pic 1 which shows front of tray. pic 2 shows side of tray. pic 3 shows 30ml dropper bottle. pic 4 shows regular bottle info. so as you can see size and info can be altered and adjusted. you can also tell it how many labels per sheet you want it to make.
we passed our registration last month with no issues.
we still use full VENDOR sds's with teacher access to whole school but we use mini sds's for the classroom pracs.
we only include dangerous and hazardous chemicals in our folders and we dont include household cleaning products or basic stuff like liquid paper, whiteboard markers, as told to us by the independent school authorities.
superbug

Post by superbug »

Here are the pics from my comment above. had to resize them. Hope this helps.

Regards Superbug
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

lead nitrate 0.1M D.G 9, are you sure?
Cheers Jazz
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

sunray18 wrote: I have set up my own templates using D-Gen on chemwatch to fit the small dropper bottles, which allows me to insert a colour dot, so when I print them up I have nothing more to do to them.
Hi Sunray. I read one of your previous posts and looked at the D-Gen on Chemwatch. Thank you for your guidance! A question: How did you get the dot onto the label?
Thanks
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hey Jazz,

I got that straight off chemwatch as a pdf, here is the mini sds for the solution.
lada

Post by lada »

I went through chemwatch ffx and the label for 0.1M lead nitrate was exactly the same with the 3 warning pictograms, but does not have DG9.
Lada
dime

Post by dime »

Hi superbug
I have been on chemwatch this morning (first time for a long time) and thought I would look at D-GEN labels. I could not find them. I had the label button pressed and did a chemical search and all I got were the usual label choices of 3 to a page etc. Could you please tell me where you found the D-GEN one?
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Lada,
I guess it depends on which vendor you go with and I have also added both ghs and class pictograms to my D-gen labels.
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Dime,
it is on the left hand side of screen.
before you make any labels, you have to set up the labels yourself.

There is a tutorial to watch on chemwatch. this is what I watched and then learnt to make my own.
If you go to the top of the middle right hand side of screen you will see a-z icon the one next to it that looks looks like a house and is what you click on. then select d-gen.
It looks complicated, but you can easily repeat sections that your not sure of or call chemwatch to explain if need be. it is basically trial an error. hope this helps you.
dime

Post by dime »

Thanks heaps superbug, will try ASAP
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

In D-Gen you can add a shape - used filled ellipse.. and change the shape.
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I can't find the D-Gen labels.
I don't seem to have an a-z icon or something that looks like a house.
I am in a DEC school and using CG3 also there is a message comming up as I start Chemwatch telling me the program will be obsolete in 89 days, does anyone else get that message.
superbug

Post by superbug »

fibreweb I have sent you a PM
dime

Post by dime »

Well... I can't even get to first base. Maybe I have a different screen to you, but I can't find a a-z icon or house anywhere. I just realised we are on Chemgold III, not Chemwatch. I thought they were the same thing. Well they are the same company, aren't they? :?
superbug

Post by superbug »

same company different program.
I hope the pics help
dime

Post by dime »

Thanks superbug. Totally different screen, no wonder I couldn't find it. Will still hunt around to see if it is hiding somewhere.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Thanks, Sunray. Will have a go at that.