New Chemwatch for schools GOLD FXX

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

New Chemwatch for schools GOLD FXX

Post by sunray18 »

Is anyone out there as totally frustrated with this program as I am? :banghead:
It is definitely NOT user friendly, slow, clunky.
I am totally frustrated when, after doing a search and obtaining a list of chemicals, you find that most of them do not have documents available and you have to email to chemwatch to obtain what you require.
IF I am searching for a chemical to make a LABEL I do not want to wait a day or a week - i want it NOW!
I have gone through 4 pages today to find one item that had the documents - and this item was NOT the chemical I had searched for.
:banghead:
I think we all shoudl contact Chemwatch and let them know how we feel about this new, "improved" model - and let them know that
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Re: New Chemwatch for schools GOLD FXX

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hear hear!!!!
It's a nightmare to use, and the labels, when you can find them, are ugly (do they not have upper case at Chemwatch?).
I think I'll continue to use the CD (updated quarterly and waaaaay easier).
Cheers
chocolatepot2003

Post by chocolatepot2003 »

Hi Elizabeth.

You mentioned the CD from Chemwatch. Do you know where I can buy that from?

Thanks!
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

From Chemwatch...email them for information.
The DVD contains everything we need (and then some)and loads straight onto your computer.
I've checked, and all the info (SDS, labels etc) is the same as the web versions just a lot easier to use.
I think it's about $160 per year.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

just conntact ChemWatch. You alredy paying subscription; CD is free.
Cheers Jazz
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Quite a few of us did a training course today at Glenfield on the New Gold FXX. Yes it can be confusing but with time, and help from each other, I feel we will all get their. Please give us some more time, and after we have mastered it, perhaps we can be of more help to you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

ELIZABETH wrote:Hear hear!!!!
It's a nightmare to use, and the labels, when you can find them, are ugly (do they not have upper case at Chemwatch?).
I think I'll continue to use the CD (updated quarterly and waaaaay easier).
Cheers

I've been doing the same, and love using the DVD's have just been informed that at the end of this year Chemwatch will nolonger be supplying the quarteraly DVD's we need to convert all stores to Excel spreadsheet and forward to Chemwatch who will in turn upload to the Gold FFX for us. I got the email about two weeks ago and just can't bring myself at the moment to do anything about it. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have had an email from another lab assistant telling me that she has been talking to Chemwatch Customer Service and that she will pass on to me all she has learnt.. hang on everyone, they are still ironing out bugs, and I am told that once I see the possibilities I will LOVE the new programme
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

http://
train.
chemwatch.
net/
powerpointhelp

this should be one line, but new rules would not allow it
Cheers Jazz
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

I must say I have never had to email chemwatch for anything. Although sometimes it is frustrating as you type something in one way and even though it is meant to bring up all the varients, it doesn't so you have to keep searching, if I do find it and click on it, it is always there.
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I have been asked to post this reply from Chemwatch

Re Chemwatch GHS labels:posts
Answer to sunray post of June 4th
.If there are phrases, elements that are not necessary or doesn't fit their need, they can edit this from DGEN
According to Code of Practice of Workplace Hazardous Chemicals, all of the hazard statement text that appears in bold should appear on the label

Answer to Kathryn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:10 pm
B .if there is first aid and ppe data showing in the msds, they can always edit the label to show these elements. The label will show data based on the elements added to it. if the label is meant to extract risk and safety phrases in the Gold MSDS and the material doesn't possess these statement, then logically nothing will show in the label

GENERAL info in same forum
C.
The reason Chemwatch created DGEN so that schools can create, design and put whatever they want in the label
The basics about the DGEN LABEL

1. DGEN (Document Generator) is a label maker tool. This is a tool to allow them to create a label template.
- They can create a template from scratch by selecting dimensions and elements like text, graphics, borders, etc.
- They can edit any existing template from the gallery whereby instead of creating something from scratch, they can simply edit the dimension, element, etc and save this a brand new template.

2. All labels that they save from DGEN get added to the User Defined gallery in DGEN and it will be added to the labels list from the Material & Labels Panel>Labels button.
- This means any time they search a material from Materials, Folders, Manifest Module, they can create a label using the template they have created

3. LABELS will extract data from 2 sources

"> GOLD MSDS
- when they search/open a material either from Materials, Folders, Manifest, DGEN, the can generate labels using any available templates in the list (Default or User defined)
- labels generated will extract information from the GOLD MSDS only
- If there is no Gold, they cannot generate a label. If they try to open a material with no Gold, it will direct the page for them to request a Gold to be written.

> CREDO MATERIALS
- when they use CREDO to create their mixtures, concentration, they can generate a label using the data they input and it will generate a label using the available any templates in the list (Default or User Defined)
- at the moment they can only create labels for CREDO materials from the CREDO module
- mixtures created in CREDO (in GoldFFX) is not at the moment generating an MSDS and it will not (at the moment) be added in their folders. This is being fixed and once it has been fixed, they will be able to get a Mini and a labels."

Hope this is of some help to people having trouble with Chemwatch
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

we still using Chem gold 3. No word from AIS yet when we will transfer to new version. :boring: Any independent school using new version?
Cheers Jazz
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

Should it really be this hard??????

MariaC
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

NO
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

I am at an independent school and I thought we were using ChemFFX not Chemgold3???
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

chemffx and ffx gold are different versions
Cheers Jazz
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have had two great sessions online with chemwatch customer service and have been taken through D-Gen step-by-step .
I think I am 'getting it'! They are very patient and explain everything as I work with them - great customer service!
I encourage you all to do the e-learning available on the site, then if you have problems contact online help.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Well we just had a email though saying all the catholic schools in the state are being switched over together very soon! Luckily they have scheduled a training session in two weeks that I get to go to. So I will keep you posted. (Wayne, are you going? 26/9 at Hutchins)
Adrianna

Post by Adrianna »

Hi Linotas
We are a catholic school and we did not receive anything about a training session
Adrianna
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I am trying to get the CSO here to organise a training day. They are in the motions of it but details ahvent come yet. We had to specifically push for it and it had to go to a Principal's meeting to be approved before they woudl think about it. It is not cheap, could be up to $200 per person, but if it saves time and stress it is really worth it.