Records of Ethanol Usage

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
vic
Job Title: Lab tech
School: Peter Moyes ACS
Suburb: Mindarie
State/Location: WA

Records of Ethanol Usage

Post by vic »

Hi guys,

Just a quick question do you keep any records when you use ethanol??

I ask because I got a mini checklist for science HOD's and it says "does you school comply with the necessary requirments......Records of ethanol usage?" becasue i haven't heard of this before and i would like to know what is the general thought on this.

thanks heaps
vic :?:
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: Records of Ethanol Usage

Post by Slartibartfast »

They think we drink it. We have to keep a record of making indicators etc that ethanol is the base in making - not moonshine as it easily could and has done in the past.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College

Post by dolphinscales »

Hey there Vic - i have heard of it and we used to do it in the QLD school i was at but not he4rad of it being done here in WA....mind you after saying that i have a temp labbie who is a student at the local TAFE whre he has been doing his cert and off and on doing work for the TAFE lab and they do it so makes me wonder if we also should be doing it - maybe contact your local regional Technicain. Just been to the chemical course this week and it was not mentioned - but my Regional is coming next week for a visit will ask then and if you ahve not had a better answer get back to you.

Though as we can order as much denatured we want but not straight ethanol i wonder if it is for both or only the straight since there is a limit on that per year (well in QLD there is? Was?)
franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill

Post by franco »

WA schools were required to keep a record of ethanol usage when a permit was required to purchase any quantity. Some years ago this was changed to allow the purchase of up to 5L without a permit. I don't know for sure, but I would say that if a permit is required, a record of usage is required too.
General
State/Location: TAS

Post by General »

As far as I am aware you have to keep a record of ethanol use for Customs unless you are using denatured ethanol. If this is incorrect please let me know as that is the system I am currently operating under.