GHS labels

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Re: GHS labels

Post by Lis »

Hi Labbie, it is preferable to have the red diamond, but the B&W is acceptable. I am going to try again for a colour printer, mainly for the signal words Danger & Warning, so they stand out.
Lisa :thumbup:
cheltie

Directive from DEC re New GHS labels

Post by cheltie »

Hi Everyone,
Has any one working a DEC school recieved anything in writing about the change over to the new GHS labelling system?
I am keen to start changing over the labels as I make up new chemicals but the executive here says that as there is no directive from the department we shouldn't start doing anything yet.
I know there is a change over period but I dont want to be left with only a short period of time at the end to change all the chem store.
I would appreciate any advice others have been given.
Thanks,
Helen
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: Directive from DEC re New GHS labels

Post by Lyn »

Hi Helen,

Why wait? All of us on this site know that changes have to be made and there is no point in waiting for management to tell you to implement a system that legally we all have to put into place. Don't wait just do it. If you gradually start putting the new labelling system into place you will be miles ahead of the game when there is a spot safety check done on the school. (The executive may never notice the difference in the labelling anyhow.)

Lyn.
lada

Post by lada »

Hi Helen, I agree. My HOD knows nothing about changes, but I am slowly changing labels as I make up new chemicals or solutions for dropper bottles.
Have a nice weekend!!
Lada
sampjm
School: Mount Annan Christian College
Suburb: Mount Annan

Post by sampjm »

Hi Helen,

I totally agree with what has been said. I am also implementing the changes here as it only makes sense to put the GHS labels on when new labels are needed.

Sharon
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

Thanks Guys,
I am going to start using the new labels but that raises another question. Where we have a chemical that now comes under a GHS hazzard that doesnt have a dangerous goods equivalent where do we store it in the chem store?
I printed off a copper chloride solution label from Chemwatch and it came up with what I call the "exploding heart" GHS symbol (carcinogens etc) this has no dangerous goods equivalent. Where do I put this in the chem. store?
Emailed the department and they just told me they will be putting out information "sometime" this year!
Helen
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I do not think that has changed class only the GHS symbol, I would put it back where it was with its new label.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: