Calcium Oxide

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
SGG
State/Location: NSW

Calcium Oxide

Post by SGG »

hi, I'm new to this so this may have been asked before. Where should Calcium Oxide be stored in the chemical store? Should it be with general solids (as chemwatch says its NR ) but it reacts violently with water so for safety should it be with the 4.3 class chemicals?
Sueg
Jazz

Re: Calcium Oxide

Post by Jazz »

hi,
Calcium oxide reacts violently with water as you already know, but according to MSDS it should be separated from strong acids and oxidizers and it is compatible with all others. If not sure always use ChemWatch. (Mini MSDS's are great source of quick information).
Cheers Jazz
ri

Post by ri »

Hi All,
watch out with Calcium Oxide and moisture over time.
We had a plastic screw top container of this chemical, hardly ever used and one day I noticed it had split its container open.
It is very exothermic and a little moisture over the years when opened caused it to escape its container.
Would this be a chemical that should have a use by date, once opened??
And stored in a tray??
~Robyn
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi
Thanks Jazz. I did look in Chemwatch originally but the mini and full MSDS only showed what you could store it with. When Jazz replied I looked again and it was in the Simplified section that it said don't store with acids and oxidisers. I'm still getting the hang of this! Robyn mentioning a tray was why I asked whether it should be with the 4.3 chemicals because they are in trays separated from other chemicals. Also a date on all chemicals is nice for newbies like me - its very difficult to know how old some chemicals are.
Regards sueg
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

For all Moisture absorb chemical's, we place cling wrap on the bottle neck, and then place a small plastic cylinder onto the cling wrap. That absorb's moisture and are marked DO NOT EAT, (That you find in tablet and vitamin bottles (Once the bottle is empty). Then place the lid on. So far (Being doing this for 2 years) and had no problems.

Works just fine. :D
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Calcium Oxide should be stored with all Solid Corrosive Chemicals, eg. Sodium Hydroxide, Copper Chloride, Calcium Chloride etc.

This should get you out of trouble.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **