Help Please- pH solutions for enzyme pracs

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree
State/Location: NSW

Re: Help Please- pH solutions for enzyme pracs

Post by ellice »

Every year we seem to try something different, and each year results are interesting! This year I'm going to give them the Hydrogen Peroxide with either HCl or NaOH added to desired pH as recommended. But, would that affect the Hydrogen Peroxide?
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Help Please- pH solutions for enzyme pracs

Post by fibreweb »

We use capsicum or spinach(silverbeet) that has been blended as our substrate for the effect of pH tests and hydrogen peroxide.

These are the 2 files I have on the method. As you see we use measuring cylinders to put the solutions in and measure the "froth" which worked out easier then measuring in a test tube.

I found it easier and the teachers were in full agreement to use Hcl and NaOH at known concentrations rather then trying to get accurate specific pH measurements. What did it really matter if the pH was 4.3 not 4.
Catalase Experiment using Green Capsicum and Vernier Gas Pressure sensor.docx
Capsicum prac table.docx
We have done it both ways, adding the Hydrogen Peroxide last to the mixture of capsicum and acid/base or adding the capsicum to acid./base plus Hydrogen Peroxide, they both work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.