I Should Have Stayed In Bed

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
ri
State/Location: NSW

Re: I Should Have Stayed In Bed

Post by ri »

Hi All,
we have always put a small piece of rubber tubing to fit at the bottom of all our glass rods used for stirring to avoid glass to glass collisions, even though we round the ends by polishing. Does anyone else do this or am I just old-fashioned?
~Robyn
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Yes we also do this, with our glass stirring rods.

Works really well, so far.

Regards
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

How come your not being replaced if your away for 6 weeks straight? Here in NSW if you are away for over 10 days the Dept Of Ed pays for replacing you, under that the school foots the bill. Make sure they aren't using the funding to put another casual in the office or elsewhere - the money (if there is any) is for covering Science only. Some SAM's (no names) do this on a regular basis to help themselves out and it's not on.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

ri wrote:Hi All,
we have always put a small piece of rubber tubing to fit at the bottom of all our glass rods used for stirring to avoid glass to glass collisions, even though we round the ends by polishing. Does anyone else do this or am I just old-fashioned?
~Robyn
I have used clear plastic tubing on my stirring rods. It looks prettier than rubber, and (I hope) does not perish as quickly. Mind you, our Chem teacher will only use straight glass!! Each to their own!

Ian
ri

Post by ri »

Thank you!
I like the idea of clear plastic tubing at the end of the glass rod much better - looks like I have just become modern!
Cheers,
~Robyn
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Duh!!!
I thought the rubber on end was to protect delicate hands
hel

Post by hel »

Hi All,
I learnt a very valuable experience after ending up at the doctors surgery with an acid burn. Instead saying no to a chemistry teacher who gave me 24hrs for a yr12 prac exam I smiled politely & said Ok. I worked back late to prepare the solutions only to find out she had written the wrong molarity down on the sheet. She was most adamant she could not use these & thus I arrived very early the next morning to redo the solutions (prac exam at 8.30am). What a disaster! Unaware of a leaking nitric bottle that I was carrying from our chemical storage area I ended up with acid burn down my leg which I didn't notice until I felt that burning sensation. Ugh! Emergency call to HOD who came running at the speed of light to douse me in water. She was horrified at the pressure this teacher had put me under. 8O

I now insist on advance notice for chemical preparations, it was a shame I had to learn the hard way. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Helen
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

I put a petri dish through my hand, stigmata style, and ended up in A&E at the hospital here, still wearing my lab coat. After I explained what had happened they whisked me straight past the crowds in the waiting room, and I got red carpet treatment all the way. It was only when one of the registrars asked me was Dr Somebody in the path labs today, that I realised they though I was a hospital employee! :lol:
Makes me want to keep a lab coat in the car at all times!

K 8-)