job description

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
lab-woman
State/Location: NSW

job description

Post by lab-woman »

Hi everyone,

I was told by a teacher today that it was in my Job Description that I had to show all "new" teachers how all of the science equipment works.

Dont get me wrong - there is no one more helpful to new teachers than myself, but is it part of our job description?????

Thanks.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: job description

Post by rae »

Not in my Job description but I did write it myself!!
Your name should be super woman not Lab-woman!!
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Sorry I gather they are Science Teachers, shouldn't they know how to use the equipment? They are the ones teaching our children, let alone the safety aspect if they don't know what they are doing.
:crazy:
Last edited by macca on 25 Jul 2012, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Post by Graham Kemp »

lab-woman wrote:I was told by a teacher today that it was in my Job Description that I had to show all "new" teachers how all of the science equipment works.
Wait. .... The new teachers don't know this already?
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Wouldn't it be tempting to say that only when we get paid as much as a teacher (new or not) then we will train the teachers to use the equipment. LOL!!
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

rae wrote:Wouldn't it be tempting to say that only when we get paid as much as a teacher (new or not) then we will train the teachers to use the equipment. LOL!!
I do get paid more than a first year teacher and equivalent of 3rd year (but I know that's as good as it's ever going to be)......

I find that most new teachers only know their core science, eg try explaining motion or some other Physics equipment to a fresh biology teacher. Last year I had to demo (for the class) how to form a simple (2 globes in series, 1 switch) electrical circuit to a class whose teacher had a PhD (Biochemistry)!!!

Also the one thing that really bugs me (although gratefully this hasn't happened in 4 years) is when we get PE teachers teaching junior science. Our Education Department in its wisdom sees that PE teachers did some(eg a semester or two of) physiology or human biology as part of their course, so they are 'obviously' qualified to teach broad-spectrum junior level science. :redcard: Get real!

As the saying goes "Those that Can, do. Those that Can't, Teach. Those that Can't Teach, teach PE".

Get out of my lab! :banghead:
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
dime

Post by dime »

Since when would a teacher know what is in our job description, when half the time we don't know. Tell the teacher it is in their job description to know how to use science equipment. As I have said many times, we are basically gofers. Whilst we can and do think, I say we are not paid enough to think. We know what the equipment is, and can deliver it to the lab, but as for use it is up to them to know. (Unless I am feeling very generous). :whistling2:
DavidPeterson

Post by DavidPeterson »

I just realised, I should have posted in "Just a little whinge..."

It didn't start out that way, but got caught up in the emotion........

I should be happy, I have just found out that the (week long) course that my Principal wanted me to do is not mandatory in the eyes of our Education Dept.
DCP 8-)
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

DavidPeterson wrote:
rae wrote:"Those that Can, do. Those that Can't, Teach. Those that Can't Teach, teach PE".

I just laughed way too hard at that... I have heard the first half, but not the PE reference, but oh so fitting!! :cheesy:
DavidPeterson

Post by DavidPeterson »

RosalieM wrote:
DavidPeterson wrote:
rae wrote:"Those that Can, do. Those that Can't, Teach. Those that Can't Teach, teach PE".

I just laughed way too hard at that... I have heard the first half, but not the PE reference, but oh so fitting!! :cheesy:

I can't take credit..I stole it from Jack Black's character in School of Rock. Still true though.
DCP 8-)
RPAS (Drone) Pilot