5000ml beaker

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

5000ml beaker

Post by mtg »

Does anyone know where I can get a 5litre glass(heatable) beaker? And how much will it cost? Thanks MTG
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Re: 5000ml beaker

Post by rae »

Just looked at serrata they have one for $87.61 also one for $35
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Science supply $92 Part Number: 21 106 86
mtg

Post by mtg »

Thanks for such a quick response. Yr 7 teacher wants to fill it up with a gas????? No idea how or what. So far I've set up last minute conc Nitric acid and copper turnings and a litre standard flask and next is kipps app to make co2 to extinguish candles . But he is the mad Physics teacher so all I know is it'll be entertaining.
dime

Post by dime »

I wouldn't necessarily trust a physics teacher to be safe. Like you said...mad....
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

wear all your safety gear when he is around!
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

Be VERY VERY VERY careful of Nitrogen Dioxide which is the gas produced when copper is added to Nitric acid.

On Chemwatch it has EXTREME hazard. It is extremely hazardous to the lungs, symptoms may not develop for 24 hours.

It can only be used with year 7 in a concentration of 0.1% and i don't know how you could predict what concentration you would make.

I personally would not allow it to be done here.

Wendy
lada

Post by lada »

Unless you have a very efficient fumecupboard, dont do it. Our mad chem teacher insisted on doing it some years ago without the f.c. and we had to evacuate whole building. I tried telling her, at the end I left her to it and was nowhere to be found during her ordeal. It was the last straw and next term she was gone.
Lada
mtg

Post by mtg »

Done it for years. Usually with quickfit,in the fumecupboard, thru a beehive (in case of problems)and into a gas syringe that's then clamped. Senior chem prac. Demo only. You can squish it etc. Get rid of straight into tub of water in fume hood. The secret is the separating funnel and very little copper turnings and always in the FC. But as Physics teacher is scared of me he used minimal amounts made a great gas, safely stoppered and in FC. We used to do it Yr8 chem reactions years ago but we've stopped that thank goodness.