hello

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
superbug
State/Location: NSW

hello

Post by superbug »

Hi Everyone,
I would just like to introduce myself. I am new to Chemtalk and to the world of being a laboratory assistant in a school. I have worked in the manufacturing industry as a Quality Assurance in Sydney, So this is all NEW to me.
I am trying to find some info on chemical storage. I am searching for a list with chemical names and the groups they are to be stored in eg oxidising, flammable etc. Since I am not familiar with chemicals I need a list of chemical names to place in each group. I hope you can help me.

Thanks
Superbug
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Re: hello

Post by linotas »

Welcome :D

Every chemical has an MSDS (material safety data sheet) and this will contain all the info on that chemical, including dangerous goods class. The whole classification is in the process of changing to a international standard called the GHS (Global Harmonisation System) but the MSDS's are a great start.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Hi and welcome,

You'll find this site fantastic everybody is so helpful, and you can have a giggle at times too :coffee:

All schools including private should have a copy of the Chemical Safety in Schools Manual, it has nearly everything you need to known. Check with your HT or Principle.

Good Luck
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Post by DavidPeterson »

These are the lists I use in SA. Anything else not in this list I put on general storage shelves
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

G'day, Superbug (great moniker!) - welcome to our world :thumbup:

You may think we're all a little :crazy:

But this site :coffee: keeps us sane....

When we're feeling :banghead2: or :cry2:

There's always someone out there in Labbieland to cheer us up :mail: :cheesy:

Enjoy
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
superbug

Post by superbug »

Thanks Liz,

Yes sometimes I already feel like I am in way over my head. So it is nice to know that there is support available out there and that I am not the only one out there placed in a position without much training. I have found that the internet doesn't always have the answers I need so I am glad we have this forum.

regards Superbug
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

And as you may already have guessed, this is the only place I get to play with emoticons! :clap3:

Such fun \:D/
Liz

bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park

Post by bindibadgi »

Hi Superbug! You'll be Chemtalking in no time.....there are heaps of useful resources already here in the forum, just do a key word search & you're bound to find someone's posted an answer :thumbup:

As a warm welcome, & to give you the general idea of the kind of humour you'll find here, :crazy:, I'd like to introduce you to Chemistry Cat......I've got a bunch of these pinned up in my prep corridor, & they make me smile every time I walk in, even on the crappy days :whistling2:
Chemistry cat 1.jpg
Chemistry cat 10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bindibadgi
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge

Post by DavidPeterson »

I showed these to our senior chem teacher, he got upset because the wrting on the blackboard behind the cat was incorrect and made no sense....

Chemistry%20cat%205.jpg
Chemistry%20cat%202.jpg
Chemistry%20cat%203.jpg
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park

Post by bindibadgi »

:cheesy: What?....... 'mouse divided by cheese' & 'milk squared' don't make sense to him? :wink2:
bindibadgi
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

some people have no sense of humor...
rosaliemb
State/Location: NT

Post by rosaliemb »

Dear Bindibadji,
Please have you anymore cats? I love them.
Rosalie (another one) :D
nickykinz
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

Try the "Joke of the Day" thread. There are definitely cats on there but may just be the same ones. Other funny stuff too though.
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300
rosaliemb
State/Location: NT

Post by rosaliemb »

Thanks,
Found a couple of new ones. And some refreshing good mood enhancers. Might be a good reference port for when feelling frustrated!
Rosalie (another one) :D
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

just google chemistry cat - there are heaps!
kmd

Post by kmd »

Hi there everyone,
I'm also new to the Science Department. I'm employed as the Lab assistant, but have no prior science/chemical knowledge. I'm actually a primary school teacher, but found casual teaching not quite my 'cup of tea'. I applied for this job, got it, and started at the beginning of this term, and, fortunately for me, it's only a smaller school, and there's not so much pressure on a daily basis. I'm here 3 hours every morning, and I'm blessed in that I haven't been thrown in the deep end, but am learning something new everyday, without feeling the need to 'get out of here as fast as I can'.
I just want to say thank you to all of you for your comments and advice. David Petersen, I found those storage classifications very helpful.
Also, love those cat/chemistry posters. I even "got" most of them.
Looking forward to reading up on some of the other posts. K
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Welcome to chemtalk K. If we can help in any way just ask us. We all learn some thing new from day to day.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Hi K from Mid north Coast. I have sent you a PM Private Mail via this site. Just click on the PM under your last post. Profile Box then PM box
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
superbug

Post by superbug »

Welcome KMD,
It seems we both started at the same time. I hope everything goes well and if there is something u r unsure of please ask us all and I am sure we here will be able to help.

Regards

Superbug
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Welcome, kmd! Glad to hear it's not been too stressful a learning curve for you thus far. :thumbup:

Have you contacted your neighbourly labbies? There's a strong network already established in your area, whom I'm sure would be a great support for you. :console:

Best of all, there's always someone 'listening' on this site - the best brains trust of all, provided with empathy and humour, which is why we've all become so addicted to it! :coffee:

Enjoy :mail:
Liz