Advancing up Levels

for anything else that doesn't fit.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: Advancing up Levels

Post by RosalieM »

I made a mistake in my quick calculations. I only worked it out on 30 hours/week (which is what I do) instead of 37.5. After recalculating I find that if I worked 37.5 hours/week for the full year (no school holidays off) then yes, it would be closer to $60,000. So I guess it isn't all that bad in comparison. It just seems it because we do so many less hours! There are times when I wish I had an assistant but then other times when I have plenty of time to 'catch up' on all the things I couldn't do without an assistant... So it evens out in the end. I know there are other labbies who do need way more hours than they are paid for to get their jobs done.

I used to think in the busy times that I should work through lunch and morning tea etc because I felt guilty 'demanding' my breaks when teachers work so hard and rarely stop for a break themselves. Then I had a good talking to myself and said "no, you are entitled to your breaks. It will all still be there in the morning. Noone will remember the effort you put in later down the track. Your health (physical and mental) is not worth skipping meals and holding on till the absolute last minute to go to the loo. You only get about a third of the teachers' wages so don't feel bad - you are just doing your job and having a break even when busy is NOT being selfish, it is being sensible" so now, I eat my lunch and morning tea every day :) sometimes I have it late or early to fit in with what is needed to be done, but I still have my break, and if things don't get put away for over a week because the prac schedule is so busy then so be it. I know that there will be a time not too far away when I will have a chance to put the pracs away. If anyone complains that it is messy in my prep room I explain this to them. It is the nature of our job that the workload fluctuates. People just need to accept this.
lada

Post by lada »

I did the same, Rosalie.
Ready to pack my bags and go to SA. But after a calculation, it is just a bit less than David's. Phew. , glad to stay in Sydney.
Lada
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Reading through this thread, I am very jealous of all you Chemistry type people! I was a Physics teacher (with a smattering of Biology) for 12 years, and actively avoided ALL things chemical! ...then I ended up as a Lab Techie, where Chemistry is my main focus. What a steep learning curve!!!! My Physics teacher here (the HT) is very competent and self sufficient, and generally looks after himself. He seldom asks me for anything. I wish I could trade some of my Physics for some of your Chemistry!

As for salary, etc. I work for 44 weeks a year, but only 4 days per week. That gets averaged over 52 weeks. I know I could get much more as a teacher, but look at what I would give up in LIFESTYLE! Why would anybody want to be a TEACHER? (except for the money and the holidays and the working hours, etc) I enjoy life much more as a Labbie!

As for boredom, The job is what you make it. In a school, there is ALWAYS jobs waiting for somebody to find the time to do them. It is not so much a matter of being bored as a matter of knowing which jobs to turn down so that you do not get run off your feet. On my "slack days" (or if I am trying to avoid washing up and cleaning), I can always be gainfully employed doing photocopying or helping some teacher or other out.

Cheers
Ian
lada

Post by lada »

OH Ian, how I could use your help!!!.I am Ok in chemistry and as you, I do most of it in that field, but I struggle with Phy. Our teacher is newly trained and needs all set up with explanations. If it works, all well, but if not, she is looking for me everywhere. So now, I just go in, set it up, turn in on and wait until she is finished. We have some really old equipment so it does take luck to get it going. Cathode ray tubes with induction coils etc.
Lada
nickykinz
School: St Augustine's College
Suburb: Augustine Heights
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickykinz »

I too really struggle with Physics. Pretty much ok with the chem as that is my degree (although haven't used it much since I graduated so have to work hard to get the cogs turning again!) and ok with the biol as did A level and have worked in hospital labs and food labs and was more on the biol side in the forensics lab.
Can never be found twiddling my thumbs. When things calm down a bit I spend my time catching up on all the things I should have been doing all term but didn't have time for. I only work 22 hours a week so struggle at times. I work 40 weeks a year, get 4 weeks paid hols and the rest unpaid. I am in the catholic system in QLD. We have levels depending on the work you do, not the qualifications you have. You then move up steps through the level on time worked. Once you get to the top of your level you stay there unless you can show that you are doing jobs from the level above and need to be reclassified. I think also when you get to the top of your level you can maybe get an extra bonus for your qualifications but not till you are at the top so I have a few years to go before I find out!
Nicky
;)
St Augustine's College
Augustine Heights, QLD 4300