storage of bromine water

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

storage of bromine water

Post by Kathryn »

Hiya
What is the best way to store bromine water? In our chem store room I have 1 corrosives cupboard and 1 oxidising cupboard, then just the shelves. I have been storing it with the corrosives - but would it be safer with the oxidisers? I know it is not compatible with either so it is just a matter of which is the safest,

Thanks
Kathryn 8-[
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: storage of bromine water

Post by RosalieM »

Keep it in the fridge
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Kathryn,

We store ours in the fridge, after advice from previous threads on this forum, but I just checked CSIS to clarify what it says.

Have a look yourself - it does say store in refrigerator.

If you are making it up fresh, it doesn't last long. We buy it in 500mL bottles, and are still using a bottle bought before I came here 3 yrs ago, with good results. (I am very happy to not to have to make it up from bleaching powder and potassium bromide as at the last school).

However, the general rule is to store as the first class mentioned, so using this as an example, as DG8.

Liz
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

I keep ours in the fridge. Last year after reading someone's post (probably lizzieb's) I bought the ready made Bromine Water after looking at how to make it using bromine liquid. There was no way I was going down that path. The HT (also the chemistry teacher) was really happy with it, better than what had been served up previously.
I used the same bottle 12 months later and it was still good. I guess it will still be going in another 12 months.