Where do you got your information from??

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore
State/Location: NSW

Where do you got your information from??

Post by Robdean »

Reading these forums I pick up on changes to the way we are supposed to go about our work with chemicals and I'm very grateful for it; and it lead me to wonder where everyone else gets their information?? Surely it's not just that I am in a rural area. Nothing has really been given to me in writing since the original CSIS came out. Neither the principal or head teacher have ever mentioned anything at all and I mean EVER!! I didn't ever get told about Chemgold etc and the need for a password etc until I read it here, and had to persue it with the dept myself. When CSIS was mentioned by the principal only recently; he'd read it on some chart another school had given him regarding the responsibilities of various staff in their school he asked me if it was some sort of computer program, he'd never heard of Chemical Safety in Schools, so he said!! Isn't he ultimately responsible for it?? I have heard about GHS etc only on this forum. Anyone else "in the dark"? If it wasn't for Chemtalk I'd still be fairly oblivious. I'm pretty sure, no I'm very sure, I'm the only one here vaguely interested in CSIS and I suppose when I leave in a couple of years it will all fall on its head!
That's my whinge for the day!!
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Re: Where do you got your information from??

Post by trish armstrong »

If I don't read it here, sometimes I get it from the OHS (WHS now i think)committee at my school. But 9 times out of 10 it's from here.
I think people who are closer to the city's have more access to training days with experts who know what will happen or the right way to do things, we could go, but most of the schools in regional areas don't have the money to send us to these. But lucky we have a great network through chemtalk that shares so we can investigate it further. Most messages don't usually reach me either from HOD or principal if there are any changes or news.
Trish
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

ROb, I can understand just want you are saying. " CSIS is for labbies only is'nt it?" only spoken to me the other day. I just could not believe it. Just goes to show how chemtalk has helpt us all. You are not alone Rob, just one of us in a sea of _______________. Keep up the great work.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Thanks Trish and Sue; it's comforting to hear that it's not only me!! I really want to do the best job I can but sometimes I feel like I'm pushing it uphill! Thank goodness for this forum, without everyone's support here it would be very easy to feel isolated!! I've been doing this a LONG time but when you are the only one in a school............ you all know what I'm saying.........
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

I'm with you, Robyn - I am so grateful for chemtalk, especially for what I have learnt from/through this forum. And for getting fast answers to all my many questions :mail:

I'd certainly be a mushroom otherwise! :banghead2:

(Not sure many 'other' people want to know about this stuff....)

Thank you, every single one of you reading this thread - your input, advice and support is invaluable, and has made the world of difference to the quality of my job, in more ways than one! :clap3: \:D/
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Although not in NSW, I get a lot of stuff from the OH&S supervisers at my schools. One is far better then the other for getting info to me. Under the new GHS, the Principal is the (and I cannot remember the actually wording) the head honcho when it comes to OH&S responsibility. So if he/she does not know, that is no excuse if something happens. He/she is LEGALLY responsible and can face considerable financial fines as well as gaol time. So I would suggest that they all get their butts into gear and learn what thsi stuff is all about!

I only swapped career roles this year and found myself in Labbie Land. I cannot thank everyone enough for the help you have given me. It has made my learning curve a much more gentle one :D
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I, too, get most of my info from here. Although sometimes I wonder how much is 'hearsay' and how much is actual fact. If it sounds like a good idea then I might run with it, or do some research myself, but if it is something major and I haven't heard anything outside of here then I tend to let it go... such as the GHS. I am not going to re-label everything when I don't have time, resources or money and no evidence in paper that it needs to be changed. (I'm happy with the 5 year change over period someone mentioned! Hopefully somewhere in the 5 years I will see something official).