SOMETHING FOR NOTHING

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
LabMad
Suburb: South West Sydney
State/Location: NSW

SOMETHING FOR NOTHING

Post by LabMad »

We all know how tight the budget can be
I have found a few things for my prep-room that hasn't cost anything, just a bit of time when I go shopping
Storage Containers - I got these from 2 of my local ice-cream stores, they were happy to give them to me :thumbup:
these are great containers for alot of different things, they are reasonably strong and can be use for things such as storage and containers that students can use for their pracs. (pictures of the containers in the attachment)

I have also managed to find resources of things like free pieces of granite, sandstone, limestone and marble from a local stone masonry (they make bench tops for kitchens), these will be good to use for acid and heat tests.

At my little local paint store, i was able to get mismatch paint pot sample for a small cost

if you have any ideas, please share
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lab Madness
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Re: SOMETHING FOR NOTHING

Post by tigger »

We received a huge pile of film cannisters from a photography shop - handy for dry ice pracs and for small items such as thumb tacks, pins, small pieces of metal samples. I also save the roll from the paper towel in the loos when I change them. Very handy for storing metal rods, glass rods etc and also useful for pracs. :clap3: Yay
Tigger
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Through our news letter to parents etc, I have often put in for ice cream containers, Empty or not. We get so many, some times its hard to find storeage place for them all. But yes they are great. We re-did our minerals & rocks with ice cream containers.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

Post by kimmy »

I put in the newsletter for Icecream container and margarine containers. We than get heaps of them for a supply that last the year. Also youghurt cups come in handy when you just want to thrown away the container with the experiment in it.
I go to Ag Quip with our Ag students each year and bring back a supply of pens and pencils and best of all heaps of rulers :thumbup: - I dont think we have purchased rulers the 30cm ones for many years now.

Kimmy