Certificate course @ Bankstown TAFE

for anything else that doesn't fit.
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Certificate course @ Bankstown TAFE

Post by nickyw »

Hi Guys

I was wondering if any of you guys completed a certificate in "Science Laboratory Attending" back in 1990, 1991 at Bankstown TAFE.

My dilemma is that to progress up to the next pay level I need to have completed a Cert 3 or higher, the certificate i have doesnt stipulate as to whether its a cert III or cert IV.
It was a 2 year course so Im thinking it could even be a Cert IV equivalent. I have contacted the TAFE but have not yet had a reply to my question. Just thought MAYBE just MAYBE [-o< someone else has done the same course all those years ago.

Heres hoping .....
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Re: Certificate course @ Bankstown TAFE

Post by judygee »

Dear Nicky - I did the same course, might have been 1992-3 and yes it was a two year course but at Campelltown TAFE not Bankstown, although if I remember rightly it was supposed to be at Bankstown and was changed! It was called "Science Laboratory Attendant's Course - 1128. I should have my certificates at home somewhere, I'll dig them out! I am a Grade 4 - not sure what that means in the Catholic payroll system, but I do know you have to fight tooth and nail to progress. Cheers. Judy
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

OMG I knew there would be someone out there, I would appreciate any help/details you can give me Judy. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I love chemtalk :wub: :clap3: :thumbup:

Thankyou!!!!
judygee

Post by judygee »

Dear Nicky - No joy I'm afraid my certificate gives no more information! I have a notifcation of course completion in School Laboratory Techniques, Chemistry, School Laboratory Organisation, Laboratory Instruments, Biology and Geology and a Notification of Results in 6148 Certificate in Science Laboratory Attending as at 21st December 1993. Very Sorry. I'd be interested if you learn anything further! Judy
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I did mine at Granville 1990 1991 so when I get Home I will have a look and let you know
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

I'd persist with contacting TAFE, I think they should be able to tell you the current day equivalent. Try ringing, rather than e-mailing, it's a bit harder to ignore you if you're on the end of the phone!
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

A few years back I did 'School Assistant- in Science' as a follow on to Cert IV Lab Techniques, through TAFE, I am sure it was a Cert III, that was in '04.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Had a look at home but it does not say Cert111 sorry :mad:
Like Merilyn said they can tell you the equivalent.
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Well I'll be......TAFE finally got back to me and apparently that 2 year course of fairly intense science is only equivalent to a Cert II. So unless I spend around $2000 to upgrade to a cert 3/4 I am stuck.. :cry2:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

My cynical mind thinks TAFE wants to get more money from you...
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

:cheesy: :cheesy: You think....
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

If you have been working in labs for the last twenty years you would have enough experience under your belt to qualify for RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). But trying to get the powers that be to accept that is another thing altogether. Particularly when you are looking for a higher pay scale. Ask TAFE if they accept RPL in any of their Certificate courses.

Lyn.
smiley

Post by smiley »

I now have a Cert 4 in TAA - not flying but Training & Assessment. My mate, who is a teacher at TAFE, worded me up on the fact that TAFE's are under directions to grant RPL, wherever possible. Armed with that info, my HOD, whom I love :wub: , sat down with me and we wrote up a brilliant & detailed description of all that I do, my level of scientific knowledge, experience, participation in classes, blah blah blah, and they gave me RPL for all of it. Then I just did a 3-day course which covered the "competencies".

So, yeah, pursue RPL, since they are supposed to be doing that anyway!
Cheers, K 8-)
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

WOW that sounds too good to be true. \:D/ Definately worth a try. But I'm guessing you still have to pay full price???? :yuck:
judygee

Post by judygee »

Maybe not, it might not be that expensive, you can only ask! Thanks for the information thats more than I knew last week! Let us know what you decide. I would probably consider doing the same if I were'nt about to retire! Judy
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

In my experience with TAFE if you get RPL you do not have to pay for the parts of the course you get RPL for because course fees generally apply on a unit basis and if you don't do that unit you don't pay for it. There may be an administration fee involved but it is generally minimal