mini polystyrene balls

for anything else that doesn't fit.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

mini polystyrene balls

Post by RosalieM »

Random question for the week - how do you store your mini polystyrene balls?? And also, does anyone know a way to reduce the static electricity build up? Ours used to be in a breakfast cereal box (from before my time) and the box has decided not to contain them any more so they are now all through the larger container of polystyrene balls of various sizes... The bigger balls are needed by yr 7 tomorrow but I am hesitant to send the container out with all the little ones floating around - they will go everywhere!! So, the bigger balls will be sent out in a tote tray instead, but it doesn't solve the problem for the future... Any suggestions, geniuses?
dime

Re: mini polystyrene balls

Post by dime »

Put the little ones in a zip lock bag? Whatcha use 'em for anyway?
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

they get used for static electricity pracs, states of matter (represent particles of gas, liquid and solid in different containers) and I'm not really sure what else. I think getting them into the zip lock bags would be tricky... they just want to go everywhere!! We probably don't need as many as wel have, but as the supply diminishes each year I don't really want to throw them out... if only they weren't so attracted to everything except each other!!
souj
State/Location: WA

Post by souj »

Hi Rosalie,
I feel your pain! :console: I have fielded numerous complaints in the past from cleaners who have had the misfortune to tidy up after a period 6 static electricity class. I now keep the bean bag beans- I am assuming this is what you are talking about- in a glass stoppered reagent bottle. The idea is to keep the bottle half full. The students remove the stopper and place the rod being tested into the bottle of polystyrene balls. You can see quite easily whether the balls are attracted or repelled to the rod- with no mess. Occasionally someone will feel the need to pour out the beans in order to test them- but I guess there is always one who will do the wrong thing!
Jodie
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

Souj,
What a fantastic idea. My supply of bean bag balls has dwindled over the past few years due to being kept in an old icecream container - easy to tip over. I will now keep them in a reagent bottle.
Tigger
souj
State/Location: WA

Post by souj »

Very happy to help :thumbup: