Microwave

for anything else that doesn't fit.
merilyn
State/Location: NSW

Microwave

Post by merilyn »

We have just purchased a microwave for the prep room. I've read on Chemtalk about making agar and sterilising agar plates prior to disposal, but does anyone have any other ideas for its use?
Appreciate your ideas.
Thanks
M.
Shas

Re: Microwave

Post by Shas »

Hi Merilyn,
we've used ours to melt chocolate for those yummy rock models - conglomerates etc with chocolate, marshmallows and any thing else you want to add.

also when i was at tafe, they used aero bars to determine the weight of air!!!!!!!
weigh the aero then melt it - releasing the trapped air bubbles - then reweigh. not sure whether the results were any good :crazy: but by the licking of the lips, they were prepared to try again!!! :thumbup:

S
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I some times use it, when I'm in a hurry to heat the distilled water, much quicker then the hot plate.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Debbie
State/Location: QLD

Post by Debbie »

Defrosting rats etc when you forget to take them out of the freezer the night before dissections!!!!
smiley

Post by smiley »

We do a brilliant prac to determine to width of the waves - butter bread quite thickly, cut the crusts off, then cut and trim so your microwave plate is completely covered with slices of bread. Cut down some plastic or foam cups so that the plate is elevated slightly. Remove the turntable, place the upside down cups in the bottom of the microwave, and sit the plate on top of the cups. Set the microwave for about 3 mins, but it won't take that long. Press start, and when you can see "hot spots" on the butter, open the door. We got consistent hotspots of 5.5/11/5.5cm showing a constant wave.

We also repeated the experiment, using an entire plate of marshmallows. We had the art teacher standing by with his fancy camera that takes lots of frames per second. We heated the marshmallows for about 30 seconds, then opened the door and quickly took a shot. It was possible to see the wave in 3D.

All of this only works in cheapo straight line microwave ovens, not the ones that have things in them that disperse the waves around the oven. Still, it was a really cool result because it was a) definitive :thumbup: , and b) gooey and disgusting. :clap3:
Cheers, K 8-)
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Thanks, guys. For pure practicality, I love the suggestion of heating water. Can't believe I hadn't thought of that #-o
smiley

Post by smiley »

I also warm up Hydrogen Peroxide for a "Rates of Reaction" prac. Gives very impressive results! :thumbup:
Cheers, K 8-)
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Making playdough... :D
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW