for anything else that doesn't fit.
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield
State/Location: NSW

How do I clean my incubator?

Post by matchstick »

Does anyone have a brilliant way of cleaning the interior of the incubator?I have had agar plates in mine for a week and this morning went to open the door and copped a huge wiff of toxic stench...Was coughing for ages...I had to turn the fans and the fume cupboard on to extract the pong.It took an hour for the smell to move on.Now im worried when i open the door to the incubator again the stench is going to hit me again........What do I do?........
Matchstick
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: How do I clean my incubator?

Post by smiley »

Well.....

I did a quick internet search, and the universal opinion seems to be:

1) Spray everything with 70% Ethanol
2) Take out anything removable (i.e. shelves) and wash in very hot water with detergent, then spray it again with 70% ethanol.
3) Wash down the inside walls with a hot detergent solution - wear gloves and dispose of cloths afterwards.
4) Make sure you wipe around the seals, in particular, and go over them a couple of times with clean paper towel each time, so that you're not just inoculating the seals!
5) Dry with paper towels and then spray again with 70% Ethanol.

There you go! Something to do with your spare time! :thumbup: :w00t:
Cheers, K 8-)
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Get a large evaporating, put some Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate/ Sodium Bicarbonate/ Baking Soda, It is known by many names. In the evaporating dish, (OF COURSE AFTER IT IS TURRED OFF) put inside the incubator. I have one inside the Microwave, Fridge, & Incubator, it really does help with te smell., I have read some people add drop's of essences, lemon or orange.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
ana.santos
Job Title: Science lab Assistant
School: Mary Mackillop College
Suburb: Wakeley

Post by ana.santos »

Hi, don't forget to always wear mask to avoid inhaling biological and chemical substances. long term effects of these are not good to the health.Also wear disposable gloves.I spray my incubator with anti-bacterial spray (any brand will do) and deodoriser then just wipe the sides and dividers with paper towels. leave the door half open until odor goes. In one or two days, that should be fine.
cosmo
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
State/Location: VIC

Post by cosmo »

You cant beat 70% ethanol for cleaning out an incubator. But watch out for the 70% ethanol fumes, especially while you're reaching right in to the back. Take a breath before you reach in, do as much as you can, then step right back to get your breath. :yuck: Also, as mentioned earlier, wait till the incubator is room temp before cleaning.
cheers
Kate
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

thanks guys.......after I asked this question I put the incubator in the fume cupboard and turned the cupbaord on,,,,,and have left it there with the incubator door open....hoping the pong will be sucked into the never never.
I will check it tomorrow and if its all clear I will try the ethonol.....and dont worry i wwill be waering all the appropriate saftey gear.

Thanks girls I knew I would get answer from out there.......
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I use vanilla fridge wipe as my 'final wipe over' after I clean it out with the ethanol. Leaves a much more pleasant lingering odour.