Acidified Barium Nitrate

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Acidified Barium Nitrate

Post by judygee »

Dear All - Need some help please! Need to know the acid and concentration to acidify a solution of Barium Nitrate for a "Sulphate content in Fertilizer" for Year 12 Chem. I am assuming a few drops of concentrated acid but which acid?? Your input would be most appreciated. Cheers. Judy
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Re: Acidified Barium Nitrate

Post by ellice »

We use 5% Barium Chloride and drops of conc HCl.
Just a further note to this , we used a method this year that added agar as a coagulant (I think I got the method from Chemtalk), and the results were really good.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

We use saturated barium chloride and then separately 2M HCl. The prac we do is out of Heinmann Chemistry practical manual.
judygee

Post by judygee »

Thank you both for you input - used drops of conc. HCl as it was quicker however when I'm given more time to prepare will try the other suggestion. Many Thanks, Judy
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Hi Judy,
Have just this minute finished getting this prac ready and we're using 7% barium chloride and conc HCl.