zinc nitrate

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

zinc nitrate

Post by mtg »

Due to mistakingly taking the Physics teachers advice I left the overhydrated zinc nitrate in a dessicator overnight, now it's a hard lump. I need to make a 0.1M soln and it'll cost heaps to get new lot couriered out to gippsland. any ideas? Have made dodgey one of unknown molarity.mtg :-?
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Re: zinc nitrate

Post by Rowyrow »

got a mortar and pestle? could try grinding it up it one of those? Make sure you wear you safety gear though it might get messy.
lada
State/Location: NSW

Post by lada »

Yep, grind it up. Zn(NO3)2 hydrated MW 297.47. You need 29.7g in 1L of solution to make 0.1 M.

Your dried stuff could not lose the water in dessicator. You would have needed to heat it. I think, you can still use it as hydrated.
Good luck.
Lada
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Thanks will try. I heated a bit and it turned to a plasticcy paste and then wouldnt dissolve, and I've been labteching for 21years!!! #-o (My son would say I had a brain fart!!!) :-o :redcard: And apparently any dissolvable zinc compound should work for "half-cells and the electrochemical series'. Cant wait for the holidays!!!!!mtg