DG codes

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Re: DG codes

Post by RosalieM »

I have just spoken to someone from AIS (Association of Independent Schools) and she has said there is not much that will change for us as labbies in schools. ChemGold 3 is providing MSDSs in the new format and basically if we use that we will be fine. I asked about changing labelling on our bottles in the store room and she said she didn't think that would be necessary. All information will be provided next year through principals (so if you have principals/HTs who don't tend to pass info on then I suggest you ask them to 'look out for it' so they are aware you know it's coming and perhaps it will trigger something when they do in fact receive the info). I hope this helps and alleviates some worry about the changes. I also received a reply from the DET which I will ask if I can just copy and paste here for all to read. Stay tuned!
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

The Oh@S person for our area emailed me to say that the DET is working on updating all the policies and procedures.
They are hoping to have all this information available on line in term 4. She said she will keep me informed.
Helen
kjt

Post by kjt »

Hi,

I wouldn't worry about having to change the current labels yet as the GHS Companion Guide previously referred to states:

"the Competent Authority can allow employers to use
alternative means of giving workers the same information in a different written or displayed
format when such a format is more appropriate to the workplace and communicates the
information as effectively as the GHS label. For example, label information could be
displayed in the work area, rather than on the individual containers. Some examples of
workplace situations where chemicals may be transferred from supplier containers include:
containers for laboratory testing,"

Wait and see what the DET comes up with and use your current system for now.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Labbie wrote:No memo on Congo red????????????????? I do believe the new system is based on the CSIS
Chemical safety in Schools, just a new name. So those of us in NSW can carry on.
So the person who informed me was right. It is good to know.

ANy more news on Congo red, please??????????????????????
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Sorry I am not allowed to copy the email I received from the DET. The short story is for NSW we don't have to worry. CSIS still stands and any updates will come through to principals as I stated earlier. Other states, I suggest you contact your equivalent department and see what they say. To be honest, I don't think much will need to change in the way we do things. Breath easy!
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

GHS information.

Check out this thread too!!
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

S equals Safety Phrases and R is Risk Phrases. I downloaded and posted them up in the labs. From msds.chem.ox.ac.uk.When I'm in a hurry(teacher wants a prac without notice) I use their HSci site for instant easy to read risk assessments. Too often Chemwatch takes forever. Cant wait for the new regulations we have so much spare time to redo everything again and again and again!!!!!!! Lucky I'm a nanna, I need a nap!!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Bump any more news??????????
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: