DG codes

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

DG codes

Post by Kathryn »

I've just finished going through all our MSDS's and checking the DG codes against the codes in the CSIS. I'm surprised by the number that have changed and are wondering if this will then change the colour codes of who can use them. Is there any news on when the new CSIS will come eventually out?

Kathryn 8-[
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Re: DG codes

Post by Labbie »

As far as we know their is no new CSIS. Yes chemwatch do change the class from time to time, we are asked to update our CSIS books, as the changes happen. It does not change the colour dot, only where that chemical is stored. Copper sulfate used to be N-c Non Classified. Now it is class 9 dangerous miss, just means moving things around.

Do hope that has help'd you.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

Have just been updating the DG codes on our chemicals and notice that now Chemwatch has copper sulfate as 6 Toxic, and there are several new candidates for Class 9 Miscllaneous. Here I go again rearranging the shelves.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

Post by bindibadgi »

I think you can stop your DG updating........ :w00t: .....have you heard about the changes that are coming into effect next year?
A new system of chemical labelling is going to hit us, & we'll have to relabel everything, so I wouldn't bother updating labels, MSDSs or anything to do with chemicals right now, coz you'll just have to redo it from 2012 :cry2:

It's called the GHS which is (wait for it ...) the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals ! Sheesh.....lucky they gave it an acronym :-|
A slideshow detailing what it means for Australian schools was put together by Sheryl Hoffmann, labbie from Concordia College & OHS guru, but it's too big to post, so I'll split into pieces & post tomorrow. I'm sure you'll all be on tenterhooks till then won't you?
bindibadgi
lurra
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by lurra »

If you go to the Dept site and go to the search engin type in chemicals you will get the up dates.
By the way for NSW DET Schools did anyone get a Memo to say Congo red was now band, one of the labbies said the HT said it was band.
Went to DET site but could not find anything
Lurra AKA Noona
Rosalie Cassar
Lab Tech
Greystanes H S

ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

No memo on Congo red????????????????? I do believe the new system is based on the CSIS
Chemical safety in Schools, just a new name. So those of us in NSW can carry on.
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

I did a google on GHS, gosh its been out since 1992, the CSIS is newer than that. Any way I do agree with who ever it is, we do need a name change. CSIS, people see the word school, Oh that not us. The new coding in already in your MSDS look under, poisons schedule, or toxicological information, etc they have a letter S and a number, I believe we are to be trained so the whole world works the same way with chemicals, labels, MSDS, etc will all be the same, just in different laugages. The diamond systems of class 3 etc will remain the same.

Happy holidays
Regards Labbie

Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

On 1st Jan 2012 all states in Australia will have in force new national harmonised OHSW legislation called “Work Health & Safety” (WHS). As part of these changes Australia will finally embrace the “Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS). GHS is a new way of classifying chemicals & will result in new Regulations & Codes of Practice for chemicals and new labels & new "Safety Data Sheets" (SDS) for all chemicals.

The WHS Model Act has been finalised & all states have either passed (Qld & NSW), or have tabled the legislation (SA, ACT) or are about to be tabled (WA, Vic, NT, Tas). Regulations & Codes of Practise are still in the draft stage with final documents are due late July or early August.

Chemical Safety in Schools documentation & all other chemical safety information will need to be updated. Chemwatch has started this process & you can already print GHS style SDS’s.

Instead of "Risk & Safety" phrases we will have to become use to “Signal Words”, “Hazard Statements”, “Precautionary Statements” & new Pictograms”

This change and has major implications for all schools & unfortunately most people are unaware of these changes. More Codes of Practices are coming out soon including Safe Use of Chemicals & Storage of Chemicals. So I would advise delaying any changes to chemical labelling, storage or MSDS’s, until full details of GHS are known.

More info on WHS is available at:
http://safeworkaustralia.gov.au/Legisla ... ation.aspx

More details & links on GHS are available on the Safe Work Australia Website:
http://safeworkaustralia.gov.au/SafetyI ... s/GHS.aspxI recommend that you read the Companion Guide.

All the new Pictograms can be found at:
http://live.unece.org/trans/danger/publ ... grams.html
Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

Thanks so much Sheryl for the information you have provided. It's nice to have some warning of such a big change. It's also good to know why the change is occuring.
Regards
Diana
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

bindibadgi wrote:I think you can stop your DG updating........ :w00t: .....have you heard about the changes that are coming into effect next year?
A new system of chemical labelling is going to hit us, & we'll have to relabel everything, so I wouldn't bother updating labels, MSDSs or anything to do with chemicals right now, coz you'll just have to redo it from 2012 :cry2:

It's called the GHS which is (wait for it ...) the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals ! Sheesh.....lucky they gave it an acronym :-|
A slideshow detailing what it means for Australian schools was put together by Sheryl Hoffmann, labbie from Concordia College & OHS guru, but it's too big to post, so I'll split into pieces & post tomorrow. I'm sure you'll all be on tenterhooks till then won't you?

Can you please post your information.
Regards Labbie

RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Yes, I am interested in hearing more about this 'change' too. It will be interesting to know if/when/how it will be implemented.
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

This sounds like a big change. Can you tell me where you found this information please? No one at my school seems to know about it.
Thanks,
Helen
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

I emailed Work Safe who said to contact WorkCover, who said to contact Work Safe... I've also emailed DET (all via their 'contact us' on their websites) and haven't yet heard from DET. The WorkCover person just made up some random answers and obviously didn't read my actual questions before replying... I'll post the responses below.
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Actually, I probably shouldn't post here as it is a public forum and I don't have permission from the authors of the emails.
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

I still have not heard back from the DET. I have just sent a second enquiry via their website. Perhaps some of you could contact them as well? I sent it to the 'policy and procedures' section. Perhaps they will reply to DET school addresses?
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

I have emailed the OH@S person for the DET Northern Sydney region.
I will let you know if I get a reply.
Helen
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park

Post by bindibadgi »

All the info you need as a starting point is in this earlier post by Sheryl.
Sheryl wrote:On 1st Jan 2012 all states in Australia will have in force new national harmonised OHSW legislation called “Work Health & Safety” (WHS). As part of these changes Australia will finally embrace the “Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS). GHS is a new way of classifying chemicals & will result in new Regulations & Codes of Practice for chemicals and new labels & new "Safety Data Sheets" (SDS) for all chemicals.

The WHS Model Act has been finalised & all states have either passed (Qld & NSW), or have tabled the legislation (SA, ACT) or are about to be tabled (WA, Vic, NT, Tas). Regulations & Codes of Practise are still in the draft stage with final documents are due late July or early August.

Chemical Safety in Schools documentation & all other chemical safety information will need to be updated. Chemwatch has started this process & you can already print GHS style SDS’s.

Instead of "Risk & Safety" phrases we will have to become use to “Signal Words”, “Hazard Statements”, “Precautionary Statements” & new Pictograms”

This change and has major implications for all schools & unfortunately most people are unaware of these changes. More Codes of Practices are coming out soon including Safe Use of Chemicals & Storage of Chemicals. So I would advise delaying any changes to chemical labelling, storage or MSDS’s, until full details of GHS are known.

More info on WHS is available at:
http://safeworkaustralia.gov.au/Legisla ... ation.aspx

More details & links on GHS are available on the Safe Work Australia Website:
http://safeworkaustralia.gov.au/SafetyI ... s/GHS.aspxI recommend that you read the Companion Guide.

All the new Pictograms can be found at:
http://live.unece.org/trans/danger/publ ... grams.html
bindibadgi
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks Sheryl and bindibadgi for bringing this to our attention. What I am trying to find out is where the information is coming from and what impact it will have on me as a lab assistant in a private school in NSW who currently follows the CSIS guidelines as dictated by the DET. I am trying to find out if this will replace the CSIS, and if we do go ahead and follow these 'new' rules rather than the current ones will there be consequences if we get caught out because we should be doing it the 'old' way? Perhaps the information will come out with the new national syllabus but what if it doesn't? Who do we listen to? That is why I am trying to get clarification from someone who should (hopefully!!) know what they are talking about. I'm not trying to imply that you don't know what you are talking about, but at the moment I guess I shall consider it 'hear-say' until I find out officially. I had a brief look at the websites but it seemed mainly aimed at manufacturers and suppliers, which is why I have opted to contact them directly. I did hear back from DET following my second enquiry saying my questions have been forwarded to the relevent person and I should hear back by the middle of next week. I realise this new system may have a greater impact on schools in states where there is no formal guideline already established (such as the CSIS here in NSW), but either way how do they expect people to implement these changes if people aren't notified?

"This change and has major implications for all schools & unfortunately most people are unaware of these changes."

How do they propose to make people aware of these changes?
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

I spoke to our regional OHS Consultant on Monday about the chemwatch access problems I was experiencing, and mentioned this topic. Was told there is a local meeting happening shortly to discuss it, so I asked for some feedback.

I'll pass it on when it comes.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

RoselieM I do like your post, and I shall be eager to hear what the DEC have to say. Please please do keep us posted.
Regards Labbie