Teacher declarations

for anything else that doesn't fit.
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Re: Teacher declarations

Post by JelJane »

Probably not recommended from a safety perspective, but I have been known to wave them in the yellow flame of a bunsen - very quick and easy! Perhaps just as safe as you guys walking away from them!
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS
State/Location: NSW

Post by J »

Yep that's how I do it too! :thumbup:
Only takes a few seconds and you're watching it all the time, so works better.
J
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I tried the waving in flame bit until one exploded on me. Don't do that now. If the column doesn't join up with a combination of repeated hot water and the freezer treatment they are removed from circulation permanently. As for Ian's experience it reminded me of heating wax to put on steel and copper rods and having to deal with the flames as the wax catches fire on the hotplate. Certainly makes for an entertaining job. What hat am I wearing today? Oh yes, fireman!!
Lyn.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Laboratory safety manual or booklet.

Post by linotas »

Does anyone give their students (and/or staff) a safety induction talk or booklet? I am wanting to make up a student (and eventually teacher) Lab Safety induction including a booklet on basic safety and the reasoning behind it accompanied by a short talk/induction. One of my schools is very new and the students have not been exposed to the science lab very much as they have only just completed building them. The students behaviour is appaling. I always had this on the agenda but a teacher wants me to give a short talk to their class on safety on Monday #-o (nothing like a bit of notice)

So does anyone have a sample to share? I know I could just do the basic mundane list of don'ts but these students need something a little bit more to make it sink in I think. (links to gory pictures would be appreciated as well :crazy: )
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Re: Laboratory safety manual or booklet.

Post by Loopy »

You probably will find pictures here in chemtalk if you do a search. I can't remember the topic name but some-one supplied some photos of what could happen. They definitely were thought provoking.
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Re: Laboratory safety manual or booklet.

Post by macca »

Here's one photo I think I've added somewhere else on the site. I also have an old pair of jeans that I burnt with acid to show the kids just what it could do, a better idea is if you can get hold of an old school uniform (girls dress) for the little misses that think it's O.K to sit on Science Benches.

I haven't actually got these ones, just thinking of them. I think I might get really creative next term eg., Raben shoes with a cut in them from a scalpel with some fake blood on them, Op Shop wig then set fire to half of it. :crazy: this could be fun :cheesy:

Hope that helps :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I am sorry I can not change the subject name, I know I know, I just can not. I do not have admin rights.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: