DISHWASHER

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Re: DISHWASHER

Post by sunray18 »

My dishwasher is the old one from the staff room....it works reasobnably well.
As to test tubes, I cant put the little ones in it, but I have found that if I put the larger ones on the spikes most of them stay put.. and heck, the cost of those that fly off and break is less thant he cost of my time washing them up.. If i put the small dissection trays over the test tubes, then they stay put..
wouldnt be without a dishwasher!
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

We got an LG two years ago when our old one died. It has been very good. The newer ones don't seem to fit in as much stuff as the old ones but it still beats hand washing! :thumbup:
Tigger
DawnR
State/Location: VIC

Post by DawnR »

To amandag, I am really jealous of your science area - it's even better than the new labs I worked in at CSIRO in a previous life! Although I have to agree with ocker that it's not the labs but those who work in it who make the learning of science important, but imagine what all of the fabulous lab techs here could do with labs like that! I hope the students appreciate their facilities, too.

Dawn
amandag

Post by amandag »

Hey dawn,
Yes, we are lab tech heaven, plenty of equipment, great staff..great coordinator..spoilt rotten....I have a great lab. tech..students are good.. just need a coffee machine..and should have put a toilet in...being an Old boys school..accepting girls 5 years ago..not many toilets available... :giggle:
DawnR

Post by DawnR »

Hmmm, any jobs going there? :wink2: I am in Victoria, after all, although it's probably too far to drive from Geelong every day! Guess I'll have to stick with my 70's-style building, lovely brownish-grey brickwork everywhere, delightful painted benches, desks used as work areas, the list goes on......BUT, I do have the staff toilets directly opposite the prep room! :clap3:

Dawn
amandag

Post by amandag »

Dawn,
Drop in for a coffee.. :coffee: .don't need to bring your resume..and I am very careful about who walks behind me on the staircase :wink2:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Sorry to come back to this topic yet again... Does anyone know if you can purchase the miele dishwasher baskets to go in an ordinary household meile dishwasher?
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

To clarify further, is there a difference in the lab dishwasher jets vs the home dishwasher jets which mean the baskets, for example to wash pipettes, can only work in a lab dishwasher? Those of you who have the lab dishwasher (G7804), do you remember about how much it cost?
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Rosalie, have you tried Northapp Appliance Repairs in Hawker St, Taminda?

They were very helpful after I moved last year - various kitchen appliance parts were missing. The previous owners knew nothing.... go figure! :whistling2:
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
lmilburn

Post by lmilburn »

Hi Rosalie, we have a Meile household dishwasher. We ordered a 'collapsable mounting' (I think it is actually a plate rack)to replace the sections in the bottom rack so we can fit more test tubes etc. That was $99 in 2007 from Meile Australia. Phone for them is 1300 464 353 fax is 03 9764 7149.
Lisa
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks Lisa. I'm now looking at a whirlpool dishwasher. They are significantly cheaper and I've found some replacement racks for them as well, which have lots of spikes. Does anyone have any experience with whirlpool either at home or work? I've come across one that does half loads as well, which would be convenient when there is not as much glassware coming through. Don't need to wait for a full load or feel like I'm wasting water and electricity :) and it's well under $1000
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

We just got an LG dishwasher. I'm still getting used to it, I don't think it fits as much in as the old Dishlex, but the new one doesn't leak everytime I use it, and the glassware actually looks sparkly clean - it really was "time to go". We bought a new fridge and microwave at the same time so got a good deal on the dishwasher - $679 instead of about $749. You can do half loads in this one, you can specify either the top or bottom shelf, and it so much quieter. It won't last as long as a proper lab washer but the price was affordable.
When I was looking for the new dishwasher, they all seemed to have the same configuration inside so I didn't think it would make much difference to how much they held.
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Well I've just come back from the Good Guys and it seems nearly everyone has gone back to the spikes rather than loops, so I guess I won't need to buy a specific rack after all... and it's back to square one on working out what I want/need and how much I can spend!! My HT isn't very keen on LG (no explanation...) and would like to get a bosch, meile or asko. There was a bosch that looks good. It has the half wash thing as well. Hmmm... so many options!!
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

My mate, who works as a technician for Retravision, says don't buy LG (apologies to those who already have one!). He says that fixing them takes up 50% of his job time. Good for employment, but annoying if you own one personally!
Cheers, K 8-)
lmilburn

Post by lmilburn »

We bought our Meile at the start of 2002, and have had the repair guy out twice to unblock the broken bits of glassware, iron filings and sand that has gone through the wash! After seeing what it survives at work, I bought a Meile for home too. Can't imagine the budget stretching for one now though...just lucky with the HOD at the time.
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks for the ideas/opinions :) I have put in an 'I would like this one' request for a Bosch, but I've also said I would like to see it in person before the school goes ahead and commits to it. I don't know if it is one of the ones I looked at briefly earlier today. Anyway, I guess now I play the waiting game. I've also thought that maybe I can transfer some of the spikes from our old broken down dishwasher into the new one as the old one has some removable sets of spikes. It was a miele that was donated on its last legs...