NICNAS surveys

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
SGG
State/Location: NSW

NICNAS surveys

Post by SGG »

Hi everyone
NICNAS is the National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme. Last year I stumbled across surveys they were conducting for chemicals of "Security concern". This meant they were looking at restrictions of supply. These chemicals included Hydrochloric and Sulfuric Acid. :? I contacted a Philip Sharp ( Phillip Sharp@nicnas.gov.au ) and found they hadn't even thought of schools usage of these chemicals. He had myself and some other Labbies in Newcastle NSW return the surveys. This year, he has contacted me to ask labbies from other States (NSW labbies could do it too) if they would voluntarily return the (hopefully) attached surveys to him for review. I feel that the usage of these chemicals by schools should be counted!
Below is part of the email he sent as a forward to the attached files. There should be 3 files. A word doument explaining the website, and 2 excel suvey forms. If this doesn't work or you need more information he is happy for you to email him direct.
Regards
Sue G
from Phillip Sharp NICNAS:
I have attached here the text of the relevant web notice which is currently posted on the NICNAS website at http://www.nicnas.gov.au/Consultations.asp and feel that this is appropriate as it acts as a NICNAS authorised publication. Within the text there are also 2 hotlinks; one to the Chemical Gazette notice of July 2010 and another to the AGD's chemical security website. If they don't survive as active links when posted on the forum, it should not be difficult for the interested forum reader to cut and paste the links into their web browser.
The notice, as posted on the website itself, has active links to the survey spreadsheets however these will probably not link if posted on your forum. Please see the attached files.
Phillip Sharp | Regulatory Scientist| Science Strategy & International Program
NICNAS - Australian Government Department of Health & Ageing
 +61 2 8577 8820 |  +61 2 8577 8888 | Level 7/260 Elizabeth St SURRY HILLS NSW 2010
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SGG

Re: NICNAS surveys

Post by SGG »

Hi Everyone
I'm not sure many people saw this last time as not many surveys were returned. Please consider filling them in as schools need to be seen as important users of Hydrochloric and Sulfuric acid so the Government doesn't restrict our access to them for "security reasons".
I know your time is limited but I feel it is important.
Regards
Sue G
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks for the reminder, Sue. I have just emailed mine off...
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Sue

I sent them off last year, I had one yesterday for Bromine usage did you get that one too?
I filled it in & faxed it off, they dont take long to do.

Cheers
Lisa
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Where do we email them too?? Philip Sharp???
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

The email I got yesterday says to return to Maureen Hardy email
maureen.hardy@nicnas.gov.au

Maureen Hardy
NICNAS,
GPO Box 58
Sydney, NSW 2001

fax: (02) 8577 8888

Cheers
Lisa
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I emailed mine to Maureen and got a reply from Phillip :) They have now added bromine to their list of survey chemicals.
SGG

Post by SGG »

Hi
You can email the surveys to Maureen or Phillip.
I got a new survey for bromine last week but haven't had time to do it yet!
Thanks to those who have filled the acids surveys out. Have many "out of NSW" labbies filled them in? :-) NICNAS were hoping for an Australia wide idea of usage.
Thanks and regards
Sue G