MSDS

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Linda26
Job Title: Library/Science Assistant
School: Heritage Christian School
Suburb: Port Macquarie
State/Location: NSW

MSDS

Post by Linda26 »

Hi everyone
I have looked up the past notes but can't find anything on MSDS for chemicals that we make up for pracs.
can anyone tell me what is the procedure for these please
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Re: MSDS

Post by Voice »

G'day Linda,
I do not send out the MSDS sheets with a prac. I send out the Risk Assessment sheet. I have noticed that many schools have the teaching staff complete these RA sheets. You need to check the policy with you Science boss.
Maree
Linda26

Post by Linda26 »

This is not for the class pracs. I am in the process of doing the MSDS for the whole chemical store, and am not sure what happens with the made up chemicals.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Hi Linda :-)

We send out the Risk Assessment with the pracs.

No print in sending out an msds, they have no time to look at them just before the prac, but they need to look at the RA, and use that.

However, For the senior chemistry classes, I always send in the One Page Summary for each of the chemicals- with the RA.

RS
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

Hi, Linda.
Do you mean chemical solutions that you've prepared? Like 1M copper sulfate or 1M sulfuric acid? They all need MSDS's as well. (If Hazardous)
Carol
Linda26

Post by Linda26 »

Yes thats right. do we have to keep an MSDS for everything we have already made up
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Or do you mean for made up reagents like Shultz's reagent or buffers made from mixture of chemicals
ellice
Job Title: Lab technician
School: The Illawarra Grammar School
Suburb: Figtree

Post by ellice »

I am awaiting the outcome of this communicado with trepidation! I have just updated the full MSDS's for chemicals,(which I keep in the Prep room) and am in the process of doing the same with the mini MSDS's which I have in each lab, but if I have to do more on made up solutions ?*#!/? Plus I'm running out of paper!!
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

You do NOT have to have MSDS for dulited solutions. Only your stock or unopened bottles of items. The items you have in a Prep room are open right, and used every day, it is only your unopened stock that you must have MSDS for. Perhaps these are also kept in your prep, mine are in a separate room. I only go into the chemical store when I run out of some thing. The chemicals in the prep room are not on the chemical register, because they are used each and every day(Well to some degree) As I take chemicals out of the chemical store room, I edit the register. As I add stock when an order arrives so I edit the register again. Gosh I do hope this is making sense to you all.

MSDS for each chemical, if they are mixed together to foam say Copper Sulfate, they do not have to have MSDS, It has been dulited down so less Haz
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Linda26

Post by Linda26 »

thank you labbie, i appreciate the feedback. We are coming up for our registration & I am sooo stressed out. I am trying to learn everything in 1 hit and do not cope too well with intense pressure. i was going to do msds for made up chemicals so that has taken the pressure off.