Lung Capacity

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Lung Capacity

Post by macca »

Hi Everyone, sorry for being a pain, I'm a little brain dead after being away for so long. lol There is a prac. for measuring lung capacity using a balloon, string and ruler I think. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks Tori :coffee:
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Re: Lung Capacity

Post by tigger »

Hi Tori,

I have sent you a link via a PM (wasn't sure if we were allowed to put links on this site :? )
Hope it's what you were looking for.
Tigger
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

We do it using 4L bottles marked at 500ml intervals. It's only approximate, but it gets the idea across. Half fill the sink with water, fill the bottle with water and turn it upside down under water so there is no air inside. Use a hose (eg the same as bunsen hose, or a bit bigger diameter), take a deep breath and blow the water out. Lots of fun, very messy (with water, so easy to clean up) and the kids seem to really enjoy it. I know it isn't what you are asking for, but thought I'd give you something else to think about, cos it's not like your poor brain isn't overloaded already!! :crazy:
macca

Post by macca »

Thanks guys, will pass them all on. :clap3:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Lung Volume bags are just the best! Get a pretty accurate reading, and no mess!

BTW, my daughter has an uncle who can blow something ridiculous, like over 6 litres. He is built like a NT buffalo, and free-dives for beche-de-mer. Scary, eh?
Cheers, K 8-)
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Were would we purchased Lung Volume bags, please they do sound great.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
macca

Post by macca »

The lung bags are great, although I got rid of ours during the renovation. "When I rememberd how many times I'd cleaned spit out of them" and they were that old most of the measurements had worn off. :crazy: :crazy: Maybe some new ones just for seniors.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

We use the lung volume bags, and a peak flow meter. I bought a carton of disposable mouthpieces from a local chemist, and the kids get one, label it and keep it to use on both pieces of equipment. It is useful to compare lung functionality (peak flow) with lung capacity. One of the very fit PE teachers here was disappointed to discover that the late 40's not real fit lab tech could blow wa-a-a-ay more than her on a peak flow meter. :giggle: Ah, but I have had asthma for years, and have spent time doing breathing exercises.

Once the kids have used both pieces of equipment, the mouthpieces can be chucked out, since they're only cardboard anyway.

We also have used a datalogger with CO2 gas and O2 gas probes to measure how much oxygen was in a breath. It's good for first aid etc.
Cheers, K 8-)