A general discussion and Q & A forum.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree
State/Location: NSW

chemical storage at ag farms

Post by trish armstrong »

Hi, I was just wondering if ag farms at schools have to store their chemicals in a chemical room, like science and have flammable cupboards or corrosive cupboards, I am at the moment doing the school chemical register and the thought came to me if they are doing the right thing. I have checked Csis, and they have RA and labelling on the farms but no where can I read if they should have a designated area. :?
Just curious so I can discuss with farm hand who may not know! :D
Thanks Trish
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Re: chemical storage at ag farms

Post by noona »

If you are a dept school then they must have all chemicals in a Chemstore or lockable cupboard and with dots and lables just like Science, as do the GA,IA,TAS &ART dept's.
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Not sure how it applies to schools, but out in the big wide world of agriculture, chemicals must be in a locked store with floor bunding (to contain any spills). Herbicides are stored separately to other pesticides and powders are stored above liquids. The store should be ventilated and with access to a fire extinguisher, which is best not stored inside the chemical store, as you need to be able to access the extinguisher if there is a fire ( no good if it's inside). A spill kit and MSDSs should also be available.

As I said, I'm not sure what CSIS says about pesticides, but hope this helps as I'm sure that the guidelines contained in Chemcert training also apply to schools.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

Thanks for the information, now I have to check that is what guide lines they are following.
I have finished the MSDS for them now I have to instrust that they are doing the rest.
Trish
Vicki L
School: Murrumburrah High School
Suburb: HARDEN

Post by Vicki L »

I have had to do the chemical register for our school, MSDS's included, for all departments and yes the Agriculture Dept does have to lock up their chemicals, drenches and all the other goodies, weed sprays etc etc - the works. We have a mesh type enclosure that is padlocked in one section of the shearing shed/tractor shed. :-)