Another Colour Coding problem!

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

Re: Another Colour Coding problem!

Post by Kathryn »

That's a tricky one and no doubt we all have the same experience. I guess as long as an RA has been done. The thing with the handgel - I presume although it is to have a green dot, that it is ok for it to be used on the young kids as long as the teacher is controlling it. I presume it would be the same with orientation days - RA's, strict controls and nothing really nasty.
kathryn 8-)
curie

Post by curie »

Newbie question - how do we know what dot to put on household chemicals?
Apart from the handgel mentioned, I have spray cooking oils,mr muscle,detergents,spray and wipe etc.Is there somewhere where this is all spelled out? :oops: :blush2:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

If I can remember correctly. Their is section in the CSIS for TAS & Cooking, perhaps that will tell you. I only have Science, some where over the years the whole two volumes has gone missing. Put some at the school should have it.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

If I remember right it goes on what chemical is in the product eg oven cleaner is a orange dot
oil green .
It has been a long time and the brain cells arnt what they use to be :crazy:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I am in the process of doing an entire school stocktake of chemicals, the last one I did was 5 years ago!
Yesterday I found interesting information relevent to the stocktake on this link. somehow I found it after searching for the "working in science" free course that someone mentioned on another link.
Thanks for that it was very informative.

https://detwww.det.nsw.edu.au/assetmana ... chemicals/

It seems to be the CSIS folder on line. hopefully the link works.
I will try to attach a copy about doing a stocktake of chemicals that may help some of you coding items.

It seems that "quote"
"If a domestic product is used at school for other than personal use, it is classified as a workplace chemical. The substance is therefor covered by the Hazardous Substances Regulation and must be included in the register."

In my stocktake, I took all the names of everything I found from thinners to detergent and have been slowly going through MSDS online seeing what is classified as hazardous or dangerous.
If it is then I print off the relevent MSDS for the department and record the product and class and amount on an excel sheet and add the colour code to the container. If it isn't classified then I don't need to.
Hope this might help. I was lucky and got somone to cover me for two days out of science while I did the stocktake and started the inventory. I probably need another day or so but it was better than nothing.
Estelle