Aceto Orcein Stain

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Aceto Orcein Stain

Post by nickyw »

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there is a substitute for aceto orcein stain. We are doing MITOSIS IN ROOT TIPS prac which involves growing onion roots then chopping them off and looking at them under the microscope this is when aceto orcein stain is needed before the cover slip is put on. Can I just any sort of stain ie: methylene blue, bromothynal blue etc. or does it have to be aceto orcein stain and why? Also which fixative solution is best to use.

I would appreciate any help here. I'm clueless.

Cheers Nicky
ri
State/Location: NSW

Aceto orcein stain

Post by ri »

Hi nickyw,
the technicians 'bible', "The Laboratory", (B. Dungey) has on page 111 the recipe for the above stain and its accompanying fixative and the reasons why aceto orcein is so good for showing up the chromosomes in mitosis. If you don't have a copy, I can fax you the relevant pages if you PM me.
Cheers,
~Robyn
nickyw

The Laboratory Book

Post by nickyw »

Hi Robyn

Do you have any idea where I can get my hands on "The bible" called The Laboratory. I have searched the web with no results. Can you or any one help.

Cheers Nicky
ri

Aceto orcein stain

Post by ri »

Hi Nicky,
I hope you received the 6-page fax. The cover page is actually the cover of "the bible". The supplier's name is also on the cover - Southern Biological, Melbourne -Phone: 03 9877 4597
Good Luck,
~Robyn
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hi Nicky

I have recently ordered "The Laboratory" through Bellbird Books. Stock no. 302149. Price $79.50. Have yet to receive it, but from how much reference it gets on this site I can't wait!!
=D>
Julie
Helen

Aceto Orcein Stain

Post by Helen »

Dear Nicky,
I just put a post in reply to Maria's querry about "The Laboratory" which we purchased from Mackays Books (ph.02 9876 6332) for $75 this year. It is a great reference & well worth investing in!
Helen
nickyw

Post by nickyw »

Thanks Robyn you've been a great help and yes the fax did come through.

Cheers Nicky