Not Happy MAX

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Re: Not Happy MAX

Post by Ian »

Thanks. That is god information Sue.

Likewise, Rosalie, I have never had any problems with Serrata, but I guess they do not do the quality assurance inspections on the glassware in the Chinese beaker factory. If I can avoid buying dodgy glassware the first time, then I may forever have a high opinion of Serrata! Schott Duran sounds good to me!

Cheers

Ian 8-)
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I have not had much trouble with Serrata.
Yes, some of their glassware has been really shoddy - especially when made in China - and I have complained about it.. and they have replaced it without a problem...
HOWEVER, I now refuse to send broken items back - why should I pay extra freight when it is THEIR problem!
I try ot talk to Michael, not Max, and he is very helpful..
Otherwise....
As to smelly things - I ordered a box of disposable aprons from a supplier - and when we opened them, the chemical smell was so overwhelming one of the staff had an immediate asthma attack and had to go home... The supplier assured me that there was nothing wrong with them and the chemical was inoccuous...we had quite a 'discussion' on the phone!!!!
I sent the lot back COD... and do not buy from that supplier any more..
:redcard:
I just want good solid reliable euipment that doesnt cost the earth! Is there anyone out there who can supply it????? :-o
rodannt
State/Location: VIC

Post by rodannt »

I would love a supplier of good thick walled and rimmed test tubes............
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Livingstone sell borosilicate glass, rimmed test tubes. Not advocating them but the glassware seems pretty good.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Rowyrow
I have melted the chipped edges of pyrex beakers before, and with success.

it does take a long time though in the bunsen flame to achive a good result, and needs very hot flame and a lot of pre and post annealing.

Doesnt work if theres any hint of a crack arpound the chip though.If thats the case, dont even attempt it!
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

What I would love is some volumetric flasks that are not tissue thin and break if you just look at them and sneeze!!!
some that you can bounce together and they remain intact.
sigh.... :-(
jat

Post by jat »

To give Max one” brownie point” in my experiance they usually do manage to get the orders filled and correct – there are a few supplies out there, that I will not name, where I think their “pickers” cannot count pass 20 ( fingers and toes!!) and have know idea what they are actually packing- very frustrating!!!!!!!

John
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

You are so right - there are some that can't seem to READ!!!
CHSC
Suburb: Coffs Harbour

Post by CHSC »

Hi Everyone

Has any one noticed that some of the chemicals prices in SSA on line are about twice the price than what's in the 2009/2010 catalogue e.g. Petroleum Jelly, Propionic Acid and Hydrochloric Acid :-?

Thank You

Ramona
franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

Hi everyone,

I am having problems with a supplier - who shall remain nameless - but operates from the Rosebery NSW area. Numerous phone calls, wrong information, no information, and after 2 weeks, still haven't moved in any direction! Up till now, I've regarded them as an ok supplier but will probably not repeat the experience again after this. Has anyone else had a problem with this supplier, or am I being too fussy expecting customer service and timely resolution of my problem (which wouldn't have been a problem for anyone had the correct item been supplied originally!)?

Cheers,
Fran
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

Fran
Name and shame let us know WHO ????????
franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

Hi Noona,
Wasn't sure if we're allowed to name or not but hoped the Rosebery NSW would be a giveaway. The company is Livingstone International. The prices and range are usually good and quality not too bad provided you don't go for the cheaper range items. I use their rimmed test tubes and have no complaints. However, the customer service - from my recent and ongoing experience, is a very frustrating waste of my time. I will have to be pretty desperate before ordering from them again.
Cheers,
Fran
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

I had the same problem and have never used them since.
They girl on the phone was so rude to me :redcard: I ended up hanging up and then rang back the next day after I had cooled down.
After about 8weeks i got a replacement. :redcard:
Never again :redcard:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

If you're talking about Livingstone then the only problem I had was broken glassware on arrival and they replaced it without a problem. I have found them to be user friendly but mind you I dont regularly buy from them as I mainly purchase my goods from westlab mainly because they sell chemicals as well as equipment. One stop shop so to speak. :clap3:

Livingstone are the only company that will ring and confirm my order, every time, which I thought was good service.
Rita

Post by Rita »

,Have had similar problems with poor quality glassware.

Asked for increase in budget allowance for quality glassware. Started buying from

CROWN SCIENTIFIC
PO Box 6032
MINTO BC NSW 2566
ph 02 9502 8485/6 accounts
1300 727 696 customer service
fax 1300 135 123

They sell PYREX test tubes, beakers Corning glassware, also, chemicals and instruments
You notice the difference in glass as soon as you touch it.

Rita